Andre307's 2009 Triton GLX-R

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
Just a quick run-down on my current tow vehicle for the new 17.58.1 Outback Starcraft.

2009 ML Triton GLX-R Dual Cab (last of the 3.2 litres)
3.2l turbo diesel
5 speed Manual w/SuperSelect
Canopy
Tub Liner
ARB Deluxe Front Bar
Aftermarket stainless bash plates (nearly $1000 damage done proved I needed these)
120L Longranger fuel tank (-10L for the dent I put in it.. :D)
Ultimate Suspension 50mm lift (makes it higher to prevent damage as above..)
150kg constant load rear leaves (GVM upgrade +150kg)
AC thermo fan added (fixes lame AC performance while stationary)
Pollen filter added (tries to stop dust coming in..)
Muffler eliminator pipe (makes it sound better, maybe help EGT's)
Turbo Boost Arm mod (makes the turbo kick in a bit quicker)
ECUtek Engine re-tune inc. boost increase (makes it go better)
Geolander AT/S 245/70/17 oversize tyres (makes it higher and grip better..)

Future planned mods:

Dual Battery
Anderson to back for van
Awning
Reverse Camera
Snorkel

That's about it for now.

Happy to chat to anyone about the above mods.

Cheers,
Andre

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
with your reversing camera setup

think very clearly what you want and what you need

the Alpine & Kenwood Stereos nowadays come with the facility of adding a Camera system to them as well as GPS (not sure of other brands.......)
the reason for suggesting this is because you start to get too many screens on the dash, Camera & GPS & Stereo & Phone & ..............

the Polaris Camera systems are great (I have) - but not compatible with anything else
very much a plug and play system, and very easy to use

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide

the Alpine & Kenwood Stereos nowadays come with the facility of adding a Camera system to them as well as GPS (not sure of other brands.......)
the reason for suggesting this is because you start to get too many screens on the dash, Camera & GPS & Stereo & Phone & ..............

the Polaris Camera systems are great (I have) - but not compatible with anything else

Thanks @bigcol
I've just bought a wired eBay cheap screen with 2 cameras. I figure it doesn't need to be anything special as long as it tells me I'm going to hit something.
I'll don't plan on using it exclusively for precision placement of the van as that what the missus is for :behindsofa:

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
Well first decent trip over the weekend and I'm very happy with the towing performance.
Van would have been around 2.3t loaded, 2 adults, 3 kids, 2 tubs of firewood (too much in hindsight but was going to be cold), fire drum and extra gas bottle in the back.
At around 95kph was getting 15/100 on the flat, pushing faster and fuel consumption increased massively. Only issue was getting the right amount of clutch slip on takeoff to avoid wheelspin or bogging down on hills. No issue with keeping up even on hills at speed.
Didn't have a wdh but everything sat well and feels very stable. I'm sure it won't hurt but no essential.

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
Well, been a while so I thought I better put an update up.
Busy trying to prepare for our 3 month trip to NT/WA which will include vanning combined with car only camping so a lot of things to get done. This was going to be next year but it's been brought forward so the pressures on.

Got the rear camera in:
IMG_20170122_135902454_LI.jpg IMG_20170122_135935432_HDR.jpg
Happy with it so far, the location of the camera had to be offset for the spare tyre winder but the wide angle still picks up all I need. Also I can push it down to get the towball in shot for hitching up which makes me look like hitching expert ;)
Even had the missus complemented at one van park for how well she helped me hitch up even though I was ignoring her....
I've wired the second input to the unused pins on the 12 pin plug, haven't set the van camera up yet so not sure how this will go with interference/signal quality. Guess I will see.

Made up some seat spacers for the front seats (which are very flat from the factory) which improved the comfort immensely:
IMG_20170122_140124169.jpg

Added a 22 inch lightbar which the missus gave me permission for after the Flinders Group Meet where we took a '4wd short-cut' and ended up driving through 400mm deep creek beds nearly in the dark:
IMG_20170122_135803506_LI.jpg

Added a dashcam/crashcam recorder with GPS tracking, mostly for footage on our trip (not because the missus is now driving it..) :bolt:
IMG_20170122_140033554.jpg

And yesterdays effort, twin drawers with top fridge slide. These are the 4wd Supacentre ute drawers which are a cheaper option but seem to fit the shorter ML triton tray well. I was going to build myself but just don't have the time now:
IMG_20170122_135647944_HDR.jpg IMG_20170122_135726795.jpg

That's it for now, still lots to go though...

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
Looking good mate. Are you going wireless cam for the van?

Thanks Mate. I'll just use the second input on the screen and run a second camera on the back of the van.
Not sure about the camera trigger wire, may wire it permanently on (park light circuit, I always drive with lights on) and then run a switch on the dash to turn the video signal on and off to the screen.
That way I can use it on the highway to see who's behind me but also turn it off at night so it doesn't blind me.

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
Quick update on latest changes:

3" Stainless Exhaust Fitted (preventative measure for EGT when towing at GCM. Also quieter than the factory sans muffler setup)
130ah battery in the tray
40 litre waeco cfx fridge/freezer
Safari snorkel fitted
Rhino flat steel rack for the canopy

Still sitting in the shed to fit:

Diff breather kit
Rear Anderson for van charging/portable solar panel.
Twin piston compressor with pressure switch
16" triton rims (to replace the 17's when the tyres wear out)

That's it for now :)

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
A couple more changes.

Fitted new tyres on the Triton 16" rims, Toyo Open Country ATII 275/70r16:
IMG_0717 - Copy.JPG
Really happy with them so far, largest legal size for the car and much nicer ride than the narrower stiffer 10 ply 17's I had before.

Wired up a fuse board and isolation switches for the battery and rear Anderson:
IMG_0718 - Copy.JPG
May get around to making it pretty.. one day :oops:

And a tailgate light strip for night time tailgate cooking and fishing line making:
IMG_0719 - Copy.JPG
Most of this was setup for a recent camping/fishing trip to Salt Creek. Funny how deadlines make you suddenly get things done.;)

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
Well the old Triton was sold today to a young tradie to make way for the new MU-X.
Sad to see it go as it’s taken us on so many great holidays and 4x4 treks. Even more so the money and effort spent setting it up over the years.
Hopefully I get 10 years out of the new one as each time I work on a car now I think I’m getting too old to be buggering around underneath one now :crutch: