Anderson plug

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Is it worth getting an anderson plug now while van is being built, and should I order an extra battery as I dont have two in the car?

Swift64

May 7, 2013
Ballarat
If you are getting a 12 pin plug, can't think why you would need one as you will have spare pins. I used to have an extension cord with heavy wiring and plug my car in about 5 mins twice daily (usually while I was coordinating kids in car etc, unloading fishing/beach equipment) and that along with a small (very small) solar panel was enough to keep my caravan battery charged for in excess of a fortnight. Also small changes like reducing halogen wattage (although now 2013 models are LED) so this wouldn't matter.

What would the cost/weight benefit of an extra caravan battery vs investing in decent solar panel maybe - just more food for thought?

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Yes to both. I don't have one but will be fitting one soon.
I purchased a battery and fitted it. I am not sure how the flamingo is set up. On the Swift, the thing that requires 240 volts is the fridge. The other 240 item is actually a trickle charger that runs your 12 volt lighting which the Swifts have. You can connect your battery to that.
Next time I would have then fitted when the van was bing built. Oh, and solar panels are very handy when in the bush and no 240 volts available.

Swift64

May 7, 2013
Ballarat
Les, sorry I thought you meant 2 batteries for camper - definitely get one :) If you're not sure about a second one, you could ask Jayco if they will just set up wiring, so you have the option to connect or not.

Hi Stan your Swift should run on 12v whilst travelling or gas if not connected to 240v as it is 3 way - not sure why the need to keep it on 240v. Not sure if yours is the same, but Jayco told me mine would be able to charge battery via the live wire pin that would supply 12v to van when connected to car pin 2 on 12pin plug (I hope it is heavy enough wiring not to get voltage drop for battery charging).

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
If you are getting a 12 pin plug, can't think why you would need one as you will have spare pins. I used to have an extension cord with heavy wiring and plug my car in about 5 mins twice daily (usually while I was coordinating kids in car etc, unloading fishing/beach equipment) and that along with a small (very small) solar panel was enough to keep my caravan battery charged for in excess of a fortnight. Also small changes like reducing halogen wattage (although now 2013 models are LED) so this wouldn't matter.

What would the cost/weight benefit of an extra caravan battery vs investing in decent solar panel maybe - just more food for thought?
Not sure what my plug is going to be. In the package I am getting a battery and solar pannel included, I'm really not sure how everything works in terms of power.....

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Hi Les
Jayco usually stick with the 7 pin plug if you have the 90ltr fridge and move to the 12pin if you have a larger fridge. This setup works ok for most people. If you are a heavy power user or intend doing a lot of remote area travel then you may want to consider an anderson plug. If your terri already has an anderson plug then yes i would get an anderson on the van to match.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I have a feeling the 2013's are all 12 pin is that right? My cousins 2013 OB Swan came with a 12 pin and no big fridge, he was told that they are all 12 pin but that maybe only relates to campers.

For us we had the anderson wiring done when we ordered our Expanda.

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Les, sorry I thought you meant 2 batteries for camper - definitely get one :) If you're not sure about a second one, you could ask Jayco if they will just set up wiring, so you have the option to connect or not.

Hi Stan your Swift should run on 12v whilst travelling or gas if not connected to 240v as it is 3 way - not sure why the need to keep it on 240v. Not sure if yours is the same, but Jayco told me mine would be able to charge battery via the live wire pin that would supply 12v to van when connected to car pin 2 on 12pin plug (I hope it is heavy enough wiring not to get voltage drop for battery charging).
Sorry Swift, I did mean 2 batteries in the camper. Im not sure how it all works and I only have one battery in the car. Im confused and sure how it all works with the power or how long batteries last. I just dont want to drain my car battery. How long do the batteries in the van last?

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Hi Les
Jayco usually stick with the 7 pin plug if you have the 90ltr fridge and move to the 12pin if you have a larger fridge. This setup works ok for most people. If you are a heavy power user or intend doing a lot of remote area travel then you may want to consider an anderson plug. If your terri already has an anderson plug then yes i would get an anderson on the van to match.
No no anderson plug on the terri. I was thinking I could plug in a portable solar pannel to help the one thats fixed in place. Sorry to confuse everyone, but I have very little knowledge of the electrical side of things and its our first van.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
No no anderson plug on the terri. I was thinking I could plug in a portable solar pannel to help the one thats fixed in place.

if you are only fitting the anderson plug for a portable panel you could instead just fit a 12pin socket to the solar panel and plug your vans 12pin into the panel when not connected to the terri.

Sorry to confuse everyone, but I have very little knowledge of the electrical side of things and its our first van.

No need to apologise for asking questions. Thats one of the great things about this place. :)

Reactions: Swift64

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Sorry Swift, I did mean 2 batteries in the camper. Im not sure how it all works and I only have one battery in the car. Im confused and sure how it all works with the power or how long batteries last. I just dont want to drain my car battery. How long do the batteries in the van last?

Can you tell us what size battery and solar panel you are getting?

How long you get from your battery will depend on it's size and how much power you are using and what you are getting from your panel.

As an example our 14 has a 100ah battery and i use a portable 120w solar panel. 90% of our trips are off grid power and have never had any problems keeping the battery charged. As is usual these days we have all the items that need to be powered/charged... phones, tablets, laptops, cameras, TV etc. The only time I need to watch power use a bit closer is if we experience several days of rainy weather, this can reduce the panels output by a significant amount. there are four of us mum dad and two teenagers...the kids like camping as they say it is the only place i don't complain about them not turning off the lights.:)

If however you wan't to run 240v items like your microwave,hair driers,shavers you will find inverters to power these items can be very power hungry if used for extended periods.

I would think your flamingo will come with led lighting but if it doesn't that should be the first thing you change.

Swift64

May 7, 2013
Ballarat
I have a feeling the 2013's are all 12 pin is that right? My cousins 2013 OB Swan came with a 12 pin and no big fridge, he was told that they are all 12 pin but that maybe only relates to campers.

For us we had the anderson wiring done when we ordered our Expanda.

yes you are right all 2013 mods have 12 pin plug.