Alpine vs Australia Wide

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
Have seen positive comments about Alpine, and a lot more positives about Australia Wide. From what I can tell, the Alpine is a lighter weight material (could be a bonus) and I have a friend who recently had two fitted (their van and their parents one) and they love it, but they haven't looked at the AWA ones. Personally prefer the look of the AWA one, but Alpine is appealing for the material choice. Problem is not living in Melbourne to be able to compare the Alpine one.

Anyone able to comment on both brands?

AWA I can have installed here in Perth, but Alpine I would need to decide shortly to have it fitted to my new 18.58-2 that is sitting in Melbourne waiting for me to pick it up.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I've not had a problem with the Australia Wide on mine - weight wise - as I'm a fat bugga as well

but there does not seem to be any problems with fitting and taking down

I am curious about the lighter weight though, strength wise - as well as price difference

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
Cheers BigCol, not so much worried about the weight putting it up, am 6'4" so it's not an issue for me, it's just that lugging all the weight around unnecessarily (as I have heard they are heavy) given it won't always be used may be bit of a waste. That said, it's a twin axle, so 475KG payload, and only 3 of us, so we will be well within that weight limit. Price wise they are pretty similar, both about the $2500 mark with a porch.

Thanks too Tricky, yes, our friends are very happy with theirs, just wish I could see one here in WA, or at least have a look at the material. That said, I imagine canvas would be nicer in winter being that bit thicker, and I like the idea of Australia Wide having local support if there are any issues, but packing away wet may be more of an issue vs the Alpine one.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
only on two occasions have I had to pack up when it was raining

with the AW one I have, the long side is two pieces, so I usually just lay it on the ground (under the awning) and "broom" it down of excess water, then roll up and put in its bags
when I get home, just take out of the bags and lay out on the patio ground
we were in Dwellingup last June for a week when it was bucketing down, no water inside the annex

the whole annex (mine is a 16.49.1 Van) is in 5 bags that weigh in at about 5kgs each (maybe slightly more)
1 x bag poles and AFK
1 x bag front
1 x bag rear
1 x bag rear side & van skirt
1 x bag front side

I have since fitted a pole carrier, so thats one bag gone
and
we only carry what we will need at the time
last week, we spent 3 days in Toodyay, and I only took and fitted the rear and rear side - for some protection from the small squalls we has while there

Laid Back Lenny

Aug 16, 2015
East Kurrajong
We bought Australia Wide at the CCIA show at Penrith in 2016. We had a tight deadline on when we wanted it and were promised it would not be a problem. They failed miserably to meet it. When it was delivered, poles were missing and the additional room on the annexe was not delivered. From October until December to resolve the matter and finally receive all the parts we had paid for. The delays and debate about what had been ordered, despite the invoice being very clear, was frustrating to say the least.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Not a good recommendation, unfortunately.

When you see them quoting left right and centre at the shows, you often wonder how they keep track of what they've specified...but an invoice should be honoured without any hassle.

We had several quotes for satellite systems a few years ago....we went away, thought about it, decided, then went back with the written quote. "No" was the answer, the quote was wrong ....despite being aware that they should honour it, we lost faith and walked away. Glad we did.

AWA usually have a reasonable reputation ....but, obviously, not in this case.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
We have the AWA on our van. The versatility is excellent as you can have all types of configurations depending on your surroundings.

Agreed they are heavy if carrying all the bags with you, however we also have started to use the shade walls instead so sometimes just leave the annex at home.

If you haven't physically seen one in the flesh I would suggest to go and have a look at one and see what ways you can have it set up, windows up/down, doors open or set up like a veranda etc with extra poles.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
We bought Australia Wide at the CCIA show at Penrith in 2016. We had a tight deadline on when we wanted it and were promised it would not be a problem. They failed miserably to meet it. When it was delivered, poles were missing and the additional room on the annexe was not delivered. From October until December to resolve the matter and finally receive all the parts we had paid for. The delays and debate about what had been ordered, despite the invoice being very clear, was frustrating to say the least.

WOW, certainly not the same company / people we dealt with thats for sure
we had the WA rep. come out to the house and measure up
SWMBO said she wanted in 3 weeks
he returned in 2.5 weeks and fitted it, and explained how to setup and fit, made me do it as well to make sure it was done
had about 3 coffee's while here, and left

I would have been more than slightly annoyed if I was treated they way you were...........

Reactions: dagree and Drover