Alko trailer recall

Mad camper

Sep 5, 2016
Mackay
I recently had my eagle recalled due to the trailer. In particular brake weld. After inspection the entire axel and brake assembly was replaced. Now after on a month I notice rust on the brake casing. What should I do?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If by brake casing you mean brake drum, the round thing you see looking thru the wheel, then absolutely nothing it is normal, though you can remove the wheel, give it a quick hit with a wire brush and spray with a silver paint but don't go giving coatings of Galmet and other paint as its needed to displace heat and the paint will just retain it and cook off in time. The drum is cast.

The backing plate , the side that bolts onto the axle with the hand brake cable and stuff can get a spray of chassis black or other black if needed, it is steel can also give the axle a spray.

Reactions: dagree

Mad camper

Sep 5, 2016
Mackay
Thanks for your responses. I have it booked in for a service and the lad from jayco will have it wire brushed and painted. It appears as though when the work was done from the recall the place forgot to paint the drum.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It won't rust away or anything just looks nice if it's painted .........mine are silver to match the rims.....but I may do them in Red next time so they look cool.

Reactions: KECL and dagree