ALKO ESC, my experience

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
This isn't about how it works on the road because so far I've only taken the van to a caravan park across half of Adelaide and the ESC wasn't in working condition. Rather, this is about how I got from deciding to have it fitted and to today and my now confusion about it.

The decision part was easy, I was given permission to fit out the wife's new toy as I saw fit so I did what any male would do, go for it. Getting info as to the requirements and how it was fitted wasn't so easy. I hope that others have had better success.

Firstly, for our new Ford Ranger I had initially decided on getting the Redarc remote head brake controller due to less mounting issues. This was to be fitted as one item in a few that were to be organised by the Ford Dealer. Shortly before delivery I changed my mind when I learnt more about the supposed benefits of the proportional style controllers. The Dealer either didn't pass on that update, or the accessories fitter didn't notice the change on the order, and the Redarc was fitted anyway. When I mentioned to the Dealer Salesman about it having been fitted he agreed to waive the cost. Next I found out that ALKO didn't list the Redarc as being suitable. In the process of then buying a number of items online to fit driving lights and the dual battery system I also bought a Prodigy P3 with the intention of changing over to it. Then in talking to ALKO themselves I was told that the Redarc was probably suitable and since then they have updated their web site to show that. I brought the P3 with us to Adelaide to pick up the Work n Play just in case any circumstances warranted its fitting. In that discussion with ALKO I was advised that ALKO require that the power feed for the ESC be a direct feed from the main battery and protected by a 30A fuse, not from the secondary of a dual battery system and not from the van battery. This is also in the ESC documentation. Thinking that as up to 30A may be needed, and with no advice from the Jayco Dealer about their requirements for the 12 pin connector I ran a large(ish) feed via an auto resetting circuit breaker from the main battery to a rear Anderson Plug as well as another from the secondary battery for general van usage.

Part of the process of picking up the van was that the Dealer booked me in to have the vehicle assessed by a towbar fitting Company and to change any necessary wiring and/or to change to the P3 if deemed necessary. The person who checked it out was happy with the Redarc operation and my Anderson Plug and said that I should just stick with the Redarc as his opinion was that he preferred it to the P3. By this time I had been advised by the Jayco Dealer that they needed the ESC power to be on pin 2 of the 12 pin connector. I really couldn't see how that small pin could cope with ALKO's requirement for a feed that was protected by a 30A fuse. The assessor of the system agreed with me and my preference for the Anderson Plug. At this stage I still hadn't seen the van itself and how it was actually wired.

The day of pickup arrived. All went well until connecting it to the car. No power to van ESC. Curiously one of their staff thought that it was wired to the van battery system. They washed their hands of it and it was left up to me to sort it out either myself or through their usual towbar fitter's. We towed the van away to this Caravan Park across town.

Today I went trough various standard trailer wiring documets and ALKO's manuals left with the van to sort it out. ALKO show 2 options for wiring, either via an Anderson Plug type system of through the 12 pin connector. The refer you to the van maker as to what pins etc that they wished to use. Either way they show it as being via white or red wires (2 of each) to the relevant van connector. Our van has the wiring to the 12 pin connector and my understanding is that Jayco do it that way to all vans. Other than a red wire to the van 12 pin connector for the stop lights there is no other red wires. There are 2 white wires, one large and one small, to both a large and small pin which are apparently for "earth return" usage but I don't know where they actually run to on the van itself. Pin 2 (a small pin) does have a wire on it but it's a black one. So where are ALKO's supposed 2 red wires???? I have no idea. As a test I connected power from one of my Anderson Plugs to pin 5 on the van and the green LED on the ESC box on the draw bar started flashing. I have now removed the black wire from pin 2 on the van connector and taken it out to an Anderson Plug. From ALKO's document it seems that the blinking green LED will change to a steady light when their sensor detects van movement but I haven't yet tested that out. So my set up will now be a 12 pin connector and 2 Anderson Plugs to be connected/disconnected each time. If what I have done makes it work then I'll update the Anderson Plugs to be different colours so that they can not be crossed over as different coloured plugs do not connect together. I am still worried about the wire size that Jayco have used on the van for the ESC and that colours do not seem to follow the ALKO diagram.

So now you have it. Are you as confused as me? I might ring ALKO and talk to them further as I believe that the wire colours should follow the ALKO diagram and that if it does go through the 12 pin connector then surely it should be at least through the larger pins, and probably through 2 of them with suitable van side wire sizes. Or more likely should I just take a vallium and get over it.

Phil

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
G'day Phil, sounds like a bit of a nightmare for you. I too had the redarc remote head and changed to the p3 just before pick up ( I see the redarc remote head is now listed as compatible on alko website). I have a 7 pin round plug. Once plugged in it all came up green on the ESC unit, so I assume all is ok. I have now done 7500k's on our trip and it has been all fine, no problems at all. All my wiring is as it came on the van, and as was done by my auto lec in the car.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Phil, when you said you plugged power to pin 5 and the green light came on was this pin 5 or pin 2. They are each side of pin 3 (offset pin in the middle).

If it was pin 5 this should have applied the brakes on the caravan and allowed power to flow back to the ESC turning on the light.

If it was pin 2 then it would seem that the ESC has been spliced into the normal 7 pin wiring for power. This would not be good as it means that any 12V fault would cause the ESC to be tripped.

I believe that you may need to bang on some desks to get someone to provide the actual wiring diagram and then if not correct have it corrected.

To chase down the wiring I would start at the ESC control unit and see if you can identify the wires (Red/White/Blue/Black/Yellow/Brown) and then trace them through. To my mind the ESC is using redundant cables for all power connectors to cater for connector and cable faults. In its diagnostics it may be able to detect these faults and therefore provide warning.

Once you find the red / white wires at the ESC trace them back to where they connect back into the caravan wiring or into the 12 pin connector (or the anderson). If the red/white wires go into the caravan wiring (and not directly to a connector) I would consider this in-correct wiring and have it changed so that these wires go directly to the anderson plug.

Advantage od the anderson plug is that you can disconnect the ESC when off-road (slow speed) as you may slide the van or have up down movement translatd into a slide and the caravan brakes applied when not required.

Cheers
Steve

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Interesting.
@PhilD, I understand the Ranger comes with electronic trailer sway control. Have you had any confirmation from Alko that their ESC is compatible with the Ranger system?

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Soaring, I never asked ALKO about that but from discussions on the Ranger forum etc it seems that it's more likely that the van ESC would detect its own sway well before the car one did. The car one will only apply control to the car itself, not the van. In a best case design I suppose a sensor on the van could talk to the car computer and it would then apply brakes as necessary. But then the car would have to have programming to suit the particular van and its braking system and I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Steve, you're right about it should have been pin 2, not 5. Too much typing and not enough proof reading. I am going to chase the wiring further, mainly as I just think that if there is a problem it could be that the wiring will burn out before the 30A circuit breaker trips with the wire size Jayco used. You're also correct about the Anderson Plug and rough road use as ALKO suggest that and it's wrong that Jayco have disregarded that, particularly on something marketed as an "OUTBACK" model.

Unfortunately with too many relatives to deal with, places to visit on this trip and not the best weather it will be a while before I climb under to chase wiring. At the moment it seems to be working and I don't want to break something that is best left untouched and not stuff up the holiday.

Phil

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Phil, all good just read about fridge wiring thread and I would guess that the red / white go to the "junction box" and then picks up the wire to pin 2 (now you Anderson). Enjoy the stay and trip.

Steve

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Just had a look at the fridge thread and the question from me is, where physically is that junction box and how do you access it?
As to out trip, I'm originally from here so no great surprises yet. Wife is born and raised in Darwin so most of here is new to her. We're headed off to see more family North of Adelaide and then quick tour of Yorke Peninsula so as to meet up with more family further up and on Eyre Peninsula. Then it's quickly around Flinders Ranges then to Alice for friends and headed home. Can't stay away too long because of committments there and having a dog with us stops some Park visits. Hopefully return visits will be longer and timed for better weather. Certainly need to be home to allow time to construct cyclone tie down points for the van before any Wet Season storms.

Phil

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
Yorke Peninsula Copper coast SA
Hi Phil & Steve. there is a simple tin cover screwed on where the trailer plug loom leaves the back of the draw bar & then goes up through the floor. There is a heap of wires & terminations there & is the first place to look for problems & modifications. Also Ive always wired fridges to the tow vehicle & keep the caravan batteries fully charged.
I hope this may help.
jvp

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Another day and another ESC issue, and I'd suggest that anyone else with it should be careful.

Yesterday we had our first flat battery in the Ranger and it appears that the ESC did it. Why I don't know but I do have a theory, unless ours is actually faulty. Main battery was flat after being left for about 3 hours but with van connections on. As a result of this, today we disconnected all van connections at any time we parked the car & van and turned off the engine and so far the problem hasn't happened again. From this, and a discussion I had with an ESC trained installer today, I would strongly advise others to do the same, or be aware that there is the potential for a problem. I'll have to contact ALKO to get some things answered.

From the same discussion today I now have more knowledge about some things:
a. The black wire on pin 2 of the 12 pin plug when ALKO's diagram shows red wires is apparently because by the Australian wiring standard for the plug a black wire is specified for the reverse lamp if connected. So Jayco have spliced ALKO' red's to a black somewhere else.
b. ALKO specify a 30 amp fuse to the ESC feed, but I used a 30 amp auto resetting circuit breaker. Was advised that I change to a fuse as if wiring was damaged it could result in large currents causing sparks as it reset each time.
c. Installer agreed that power feed wire should at least be on spare large pins on 12 pin connector, but Anderson Plug is better.
d. Disconnecting feed altogether allows ESC system to test and reset itself each time and is a desirable practice. When going off road or rough roads even ALKO advise disconnecting ESC, but unless you use an Anderson Plug how do you do this if wired via the 12 pin plug.
e. Apparently the 2 LED's on the unit on draw bar is just in case one fails. Provided the LED' show as green then all is well and only worry if they go to red.
f. A more permanent cure that I'll probably do when I get back home is rewire the feed via an ignition controlled relay.

My theory?
I'll get ALKO's response to that first.

Phil

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Fridge is powered via Anderson Plug from car dual battery system. Dual battery is fed via Redarc DC/DC unit under ignition control and that also runs Engel in rear of car. Those parts are not showing any signs of being faulty, at the moment. Unless problem has gone away, disconnecting all feeds to van has isolated problem to being something else in van. Flatening main battery in 3 hours would need to be a large current draw.

Phil

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
It's taken a while to finally get back home, reacclimatise to the tropics, get the yard sorted out, clean out the van and do some more checking of current draw.

Had a response from ALKO as to questions about the ESC current draw and they state that it should only be in the order of milliamps while vehicle is stationary. Did a check with a clamp meter and that seems to be the case. So I'm still no wiser as to what drained the vehicle main battery. Problem didn't reoccur during the rest of our trip as whenever we stopped for any time longer than a fuel stop all cables to the van were unplugged. It's a worry that this may happen again, so I do intend to put the ESC feed from the main battery via an ignition controlled relay to isolate it when the engine is turned off.

As to the ESC performance on the trip home, unfortunately I have no other experience to compare it against. The WNP seemed to be very stable but as I found out in Alice Springs the towball weight was somewhat more than I was expecting. There was only one time when there was an obvious van brake activation that must have been from the ESC. On one particular narrow, bumpy, bitumen hill climb the wheels on the van locked up for a moment. Don't anybody contemplate taking a van up through Pt Germein Gorge, because the driver most certainly doesn't get to enjoy the scenery, although I think I did see the "Man from Snowy River " chasing some horses across the wild hill tops for a moment.

Phil