Chassis Alko ESC and other electronic aids bit of a fan now

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
First trip away with the van last year I gave it a bit of a swing on a straight road to see what might happen with the esc and nothing did. This last trip whilst going between Tumbarumba and Khankobin after coming down a hill and turning into a corner I felt the van brake and at the same time the traction light on the cruiser came on, it was the sort of corner where something could go wrong if you wernt on your game but the electronics reacted before I even realised. It was late in the day and I was a bit "tuned out" but it was interesting to see both the AlKo system and Toyotas towing control system work at the same time. At another point in the trip I swerved sharply to miss a big pot hole and the vans ESC kicked in again!

Re assuring to know the systems work and well, Iam not a sceptic anymore and more of a fan.

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
First trip away with the van last year I gave it a bit of a swing on a straight road to see what might happen with the esc and nothing did. This last trip whilst going between Tumbarumba and Khankobin after coming down a hill and turning into a corner I felt the van brake and at the same time the traction light on the cruiser came on, it was the sort of corner where something could go wrong if you wernt on your game but the electronics reacted before I even realised. It was late in the day and I was a bit "tuned out" but it was interesting to see both the AlKo system and Toyotas towing control system work at the same time. At another point in the trip I swerved sharply to miss a big pot hole and the vans ESC kicked in again!

Re assuring to know the systems work and well, Iam not a sceptic anymore and more of a fan.
I did the same; bit of a flick to see what happens ... and nothing. Its obviously smart enough to know when your just jerking around.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Just go around a round about and mount the kerb with the van. It works then. (Well, it does if it is working.)
Shouldn't be too hard ... I often go around a roundabout a few times to annoy Mrs Crusty; and I can generally manage to mount the kerb without trying ... without the van attached, so all in all an easy ask

Reactions: Smirke and dagree

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
For those that have driven a 200 series you would know the throttle takes a little getting used to. It appears lazy but a quick stab of right boot changes that. Well a couple of times when towing its seemed to drag more than usual, turning out. I worked it out on the weekend. Pulling out of the garage depot at trunkey creek it was quite an uneven dirt driveway. As i pulled out and the van lurched side to side I felt the pull of the ESC kicking in!

So this introduces an interesting dilemma. It definetly reduces your ability to pull out quickley but it's not an "off road " situation which would call for it to be unplugged (even if you could!) really a shame that the esc couldn't sense speed and be deactivated say below 25kmh? Think I am going to look at a switch to kill power to pin 2 from the dash?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
For those that have driven a 200 series you would know the throttle takes a little getting used to. It appears lazy but a quick stab of right boot changes that. Well a couple of times when towing its seemed to drag more than usual, turning out. I worked it out on the weekend. Pulling out of the garage depot at trunkey creek it was quite an uneven dirt driveway. As i pulled out and the van lurched side to side I felt the pull of the ESC kicking in!

So this introduces an interesting dilemma. It definetly reduces your ability to pull out quickley but it's not an "off road " situation which would call for it to be unplugged (even if you could!) really a shame that the esc couldn't sense speed and be deactivated say below 25kmh? Think I am going to look at a switch to kill power to pin 2 from the dash?

Never had the experience of taking off fast !

Reactions: Cheyne78