Exterior Alko Drop-down Jacks

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
has anybody tried to shorten Alko drop-down jacks? I believe that we already have the shortest ones Alko make.

I optioned up our standard Penguin with these jacks but they are actually too long for a standard suspension and it is very seldom that I can put them down vertically.

It is not uncommon that on uneven ground they have to be set at 30 degrees.

It would be good if I could cut them down a few inches.

kindest regards
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Remove foot, saw off then replace foot but be carefull on how much you chop off or you will have to carry extra chocks....

Reactions: mikerezny

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
my thinking @Drover and @mikerezny would be

take them off
unwind the centre bit
trim "say" 100-150mm off the bottom of the centre bit (as the top of it should / would have the thread that it uses to go up and down )
trim "say" 100-150mm off the bottom of the outer bit

try that for collapsed height

trim more if needed off both

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
How much are we looking at chopping off then ?????.................I'd just roll the axle.

Reactions: bigcol

WayneL

Jul 5, 2016
Adelaide
I had tbe same problem with my Starcraft tourer 18.55. Took all 4 off and thoroughly cleaned and lubricated them as they were hard to get to lock in, then cut 40mm off the bottom with a cutoff saw and redrilled and replaced the foot. Made a huge difference, no more getting down on my back ever time we setup and packup.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
I've read a few sites including chassis manufacturers site about drop down stabilizers and they all seem to recommend they point outwards rather vertical. Personally I don't think it matters as long as there is support the van ends.

Reactions: Laneway

Waratah

Jul 3, 2017
Melbourne
I've read a few sites including chassis manufacturers site about drop down stabilizers and they all seem to recommend they point outwards rather vertical. Personally I don't think it matters as long as there is support the van ends.
I don't think it matters either way! Interestingly the sales guy told us to set on angle and on pick up/handover they told us vertical.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
The pins will bend on them if they are not used in a vertical position. I know this as it happened to me, and I couldn’t pull out the locking ring after it happened.

Reactions: Drover and Waratah

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi,
has anybody tried to shorten Alko drop-down jacks? I believe that we already have the shortest ones Alko make.

I optioned up our standard Penguin with these jacks but they are actually too long for a standard suspension and it is very seldom that I can put them down vertically.

It is not uncommon that on uneven ground they have to be set at 30 degrees.

It would be good if I could cut them down a few inches.

kindest regards
Mike
According to the Alko web site they now have 3 lengths, 410 510 and 610. Take the foot off and have a look inside the tube; youll see the thread up the middle. The thread doesnt move in or out, only spins. Measure how far up the tube the thread is and that will be the max you can shorten the legs. Shortening the inner any more than an inch, and youll have to also cut the outer tube as well.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
According to the Alko web site they now have 3 lengths, 410 510 and 610. Take the foot off and have a look inside the tube; youll see the thread up the middle. The thread doesnt move in or out, only spins. Measure how far up the tube the thread is and that will be the max you can shorten the legs. Shortening the inner any more than an inch, and youll have to also cut the outer tube as well.
Hi @Crusty181,
thanks, that is really useful information. Last I looked, they had two sizes and I was pretty sure I already had the shortest.

I need to go measure them up tomorrow.

Good timing, since the Penguin runs out of warranty on 18th November. If there is a shorter version, I might be able to get them replaced under warranty.

cheers
Mike

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I don't think it matters either way! Interestingly the sales guy told us to set on angle and on pick up/handover they told us vertical.
Hi @Waratah,
hmm.

I just got this off the ALKO website on the page describing the drop down corner steadies as they call them:

Steadies are available in conventional wind down style and also in ”drop down” style, where the steady can be swung from the horizontal travelling position to different angles including the optimum position of vertical.

cheers
Mike

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @Crusty181,
thanks, that is really useful information. Last I looked, they had two sizes and I was pretty sure I already had the shortest.

I need to go measure them up tomorrow.

Good timing, since the Penguin runs out of warranty on 18th November. If there is a shorter version, I might be able to get them replaced under warranty.

cheers
Mike
Alko used to have only 2 lengths, you may well have got the shortest avail at that time. CaravansPlus have the 410s for $61

Might be able to do a contra with the solar .... (when I get around to getting them)

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Mine had the same prob. I couldn’t drop mine straight down on level ground I ended up taking them apart and cut 50mm off both insid and outside pieces. Also cut another 30mm off near the foot. Works great now. Pretty easy to do if you have the tools.

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
I shortend my drop down stabilizers by 40mm. I pulled them apart and shortened the outer tube, inner tube and threaded rod by 40mm. Want too hard to do. Work perfectly now.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Alko used to have only 2 lengths, you may well have got the shortest avail at that time. CaravansPlus have the 410s for $61

Might be able to do a contra with the solar .... (when I get around to getting them)
Hi @Crusty181,
I got impatient and went out tonight with a torch to measure them. As far as I can tell, our Penguin already has the shortest: 410mm.

So, I will look at taking 40-50mm off them.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: Crusty181

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
330mm shaft length are on mine. I did a suspension lift of 90mm and now they are marginally too short.
Hi @Jazdiver,
the overall length of just the outer tube on my jacks is 320mm. I suspect that means they are the 410mm version which would be the overall minimum length in the vertical position from the top of the mounting plate to the foot.

I can't easily position the van so I can drop the jack vertically to verify this. They are certainly not be the 510mm version which would be the next size up.

cheers
Mike