Suspension Airbags for tow vehicle

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I am looking to bring the 100 series Landcruiser out of mothballs, one job I need to have done prior to using it as a tug is to have airbags fitted to the rear springs. I am after if anyone has recommendations for the best brand of bags and an approximate cost to have supplied and installed.

Cheers
Cracka

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@crackacoldie ... I have polyair airbags in the prado and so far after 6 weeks ;) have had no probs.
Cost me $298 for supply and was quoted $80 to fit if done as part of a suspension upgrade or $160 if fitted on their own.

Bought them as a package for a full suspension upgrade and fitted myself.

I also had the Firestone brand recommended to me when researching and asking questions but I believe they are a little dearer.

Lift_Rear.jpg

Reactions: crackacoldie

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Firestone Coilrite (Airbag Man) in the Pajero, mine were done as a package with suspension, no problem in the Pajero, had same setup with the Pathie, which was fine when they finally got it right, Had them replaced twice under warranty due faulty batch that kept ripping the connection out of the bag.

100_2486.JPG

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Firestone Coilrite (Airbag Man) in the Pajero, mine were done as a package with suspension, no problem in the Pajero, had same setup with the Pathie, which was fine when they finally got it right, Had them replaced twice under warranty due faulty batch that kept ripping the connection out of the bag.

View attachment 22806

Bet she ain't that clean under there now? File photo?

Last edited:

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
I had polyair in my 100, but both got holes at some point. I have fitted firestone (airbag man) this time. I think they are thicker, but i also fitted the kevlar bag over them giving better protection and they take more pressure.

If you are going to do it yourself, maybe get them form OS. i brought mine in, they were about @220 landed. I have photos of the bags in my build.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
In the distant past I've had 2 sets of plastic bags fitted to an old Range Rover inside the rear coils. I was most happy with the first set and they lasted for a few years of hard work before one failed at the air inlet point. I had a coil snap at one time and it rode along on the collapsed spring and the airbag without puncturing it and with just a slight rub mark. I'd guess that this had happened about a few hundred K's before hand but there was no indication of any problem. Only noticed it in a car park that there was a slight lean to one side. Due to not needing to carry any large loads for a few years I didn't bother replacing them after the stem failure after about 3 years.

It's the experience with the 2nd set though that has me refusing to ever use that type again and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, but that's my personal opinion.

Due to having had them before and knowing that they must be kept with about 10 PSI in them at all times and a maximum of about 30 PSI plus using them frequently I did know how to treat them. Despite this they only lasted just over a year until neither one would hold any pressure at all. It didn't take much of an inspection to find out why. The synthetic material had gone brittle for quite a proportion of each bag.
Polyair failure 1.JPG

I contacted the maker/supplier about the issue and to seek a replacement set but was refused as they were out of warranty, but not by much. I was told that I had not maintained them correctly. End of discussion apparently. End of my support as well.

Now I've seen this type of failure in a synthetic material before and it was in soles of footwear. Both in safety boots at work and with some pairs of kids shoes this was apparently due to a couple of reasons. One reason given was lack of use with no flexing of the material but the other reason was just aging of the material. In some kids shoes we bought one time and were stored until he had out grown the old pair but the first time he used them and with walking across the floor the sole was sticky and left material at every step. When severely flexed by hand the soles split in multiple places. A complaint to the maker and after giving them one to test they found that the shoes were very old stock and had apparently been sitting on a store shelf for a year or so. They apologised and sent us a replacement pair. The ultimate I saw for myself was in clearing out a locker at work and finding a pair of safety boots that belonged to a staff member that had long since left the Company. When I picked up the boots there were no soles on them at all. On the bottom of the locker was a heap of granulated material about the size of instant coffee.

My opinion of the failure of my set of air bags is that they might have been old stock that had been on a shelf for quite some time and perished like the shoes/boots I mentioned. If the manufacturer wasn't prepared to support their product, then neither will I.

My choice these days is to upgrade the springs as a first choice for heavily loading a vehicle. For rear coils it isn't particularly difficult to do them yourself and can be done quite quickly. Fitting a better set just for trips is quite possible, plus you can then carry the old ones if you want spares.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Wow Phil maybe being on a LR they caught what ever it is that causes all there gremlins too :p

Sorry, yeah certainly looks like they were old rubber. Can't believe they didn't honour that. I had the red ones and wasn't overly impressed either. I do belive the firestone bags (blue) are the better. And now with these protective bags I think that's a really great idea, just the price of the protective bags is stupid.

b1900c

May 8, 2011
Adelaide SA
Gday Cracka
I got the Firestones from Trucksprings.com for my Patrol. $110 + 60 delivery. Quite easy to fit. Especially the second one!
Amazed delivery only took a week, so in my opinion i wouldn't pay extra for the express post.

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
Gday Cracka
I got the Firestones from Trucksprings.com for my Patrol. $110 + 60 delivery. Quite easy to fit. Especially the second one!
Amazed delivery only took a week, so in my opinion i wouldn't pay extra for the express post.
I got mine from the same place. Great service, quick supply and much cheaper for the same thing.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
hey mate, we got the airbag man ones with the Kevlar bags around them for extra support. Allows them to be blown up to 60psi if required. we run around when towing at 35psi. Father in law has had the same brand in two prados. Second set had an issue staying inflated but the inlet pipe had come loose, the installer fixed no dramas.

The pic is from when they were installed before inflation.

Attachments

• 20140408_100133.jpg
    20140408_100133.jpg
    930.9 KB · Views: 454

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@crackacoldie,

Recently had TJM fit the PolyAirs to the LC200 along with a Lovels' GVM upgrade to 3,800KG.

Previously the van dropped the car by 4" before the HR WDH connected, but now at 25PSI, the van tows beautifully, and we have stopped using the WDH. Really nice ride and handles well. Drop them back to 5psi when not towing and ride is great.

Cheers,

Ro

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
I'm looking to do the same. Been quoted by Opposite Lock for Firestone brand $250 +$100 for install. Option to add bags which will allow increase to 60PSI, plus protect bag from wear against springs. I'm trying to get the packaged with a 2 inch Tough Dog lift kit.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Just had a set of Firestones put in this afternoon, along with some upgraded springs and shocks. Really looking forward to hooking the van up tomorrow and seeing what difference it makes. Maiden Hwy run as well, so fingers crossed... Just going to take it easy and see what works.
image.jpg

Don't mind the disgustingly dirty undercarriage. It's due for a bit of a clean...

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Got the standard HD springs, decided not to get a lift at this stage... baby steps (i.e. read $$).

Going to head up to the 'rat tomorrow for a bit of a trundle and book in with one of the Big 4 up there. Got the van and tug booked in for respective services up there on Friday which should be good (but not for the wallet I'm sure...)

From there we might camp somewhere Friday night on the way home, albeit it will be freezing... It's snowing up that way apparently... :eek-53:

Reactions: cruza driver