16' Series Advice Please :)

Crazyfun

Jun 26, 2014
Hi all, new to this site and caravaning. We are looking at buying a new jayco expander at this stage 16ft possible 17ft if anyone can give me a reason why they might be better.

My main question is we were originally looking at getting a full annex but i'm a bit turned off that as we enjoy sitting outside kids running around and watching everyone in the park go by. I'm now looking at the sun blocker or wind blocker, I'm just concerned if we get bad weather about being stuck inside. Is it worth purchasing any of the above or not really worth it?

Also My Hubby is quiet good when it comes to towing and reversing things LOL we were leaning towards the 16ft single axle as they told us it will be easier to park reverse etc, the 17ft would be harder but easier to tow, I'm quiet concerned about that having never done the caravan thing before. Any advice on single or double axle making a difference?

Thanks so much to anyone who can offer advice :)

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
Hi @Crazyfun

We just ordered a new 17.56 coming from a Flamingo. We won't be going the full annexe this time around as we hardly used it and it was much easier sliding in shade walls. Don't get me wrong, the annexe does a much better job keeping the rain out etc however I am with you and enjoy the openness.

I have previously towed and setup a dual axel van many times. It certainly is easier with a single axel however the only issue I ever found was the dual would rip a bit of grass up on a tight reverse. Nothing major to worry about, if you can afford it I would go with the bigger van purely for space on those stormy days and the better towing balance.

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
We originally looked at the 16' series, but ended up with the 17. We were heading on a 1/2 lap of the country, and decided having 4 wheels if we had a blowout was better than 2.

We also got the wind / sun blockers and very happy with them, can always upgrade to an annex in the future if needed, would be a waste of money if you never use an annex. We had the full annex on our swan and never used it. Usually if it's cold, wet and windy, the kids are in the van anyway playing iPAD's or watching videos as it is still too cold in an annex anyway.

Crazyfun

Jun 26, 2014
Thanks for your help such a big decision when you don't have any experience In what you like, think I'm definitely going to scrap the annex I really can't see us using it, going to go back over and have another look around today and weigh up pros and cons against 16ft and 17ft the price hurts a bit but they seem to hold there value quiet well

Janbo

Feb 19, 2014
Adelaide
We had the full annexe on our Eagle, it does give you a nice extra room but as you say it can isolate you somewhat. With the Expanda we just have the Front and Side privacy screen... not tried them yet but looking forward yto giving them a go...

Reactions: CrazyMOBB

Susan

Feb 25, 2014
My very first post......we have three kids (5,3&8months) and we bought a 16.49-4 this year. I have just put a deposit on an annex, with an 'add a room' and a front veranda. Most of our holidays will be 1-2 hours from Brisbane where we will stay for a week or two at a time. Although our kids are little now they are going to grow and take up ALOT of space soon. For us an annex will provide much needed living space, security for outside TV, car fridge etc. I am hoping our boys will one day want to sleep in the add a room. We ordered the veranda so we can sit outside and maintain the social aspect we all love about caravanning. Fingers crossed we now use it.

We purchased a 16 over a 17 simple because we didn't have the room to manoeuvre it into the required space at home. Sigh.....

Reds

Oct 31, 2011
Berwick Vic
Hi Crazyfun

This is only our experience. Started with a Swan in 2010. Upgraded to 16.49.2 in 2011 which we had for over 2 years and will be picking up our 17.56.1 in two weeks.
Our kids are 14 and 13 and we wanted the extra space of the 17". If you can afford it and your vehicle can tow it then get the 17' from the outset it will save you upgrading.
On the annex side of things, we had the annex on the 16.49.2 and it was great, (getting the same on the new one) only used when staying somewhere for a week or more. It just gives you some extra space to put things. We had the veranda and a gazebo out the front which is were we spend all our time. I know then annex's are costly but well worth it as the kids get older and want to sleep out of the van. Last year we had 5 kids sitting in the annex watching movies of a night.

Cheers
Red

Reactions: Susan

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Even though there are only 2 of us on most of our trips we upgraded the 16.49.3 to the 17.56-02. (originally looked at upgrading to a 16' off road but after looking at a few 17'ers we quickly changed our mind)
That extra 1 foot of space just makes it that more roomier and have the bunk beds now for when any of the grand-kids come with us.

As for full annexe vs sunblockers etc....
We use the full annexe for stays longer than one week with a gazebo setup outside if room permits. We spend most of our days under there.
For shorter stays we have a side and rear sunblocker which are quite reasonable in wet weather. We recently spent a weekend away where it rained quite heavily at times and the only water under the awning was a few drops coming from the end of the side wall and the "river" running along the ground from front to back... But then again we have had the same when using the full annexe walls!!!!

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
I've had both single axel and tandem. I'd go for a tandem every time. So much smoother to tow. We have an expanda 1756 2 now, our second tandem. We always get an annex with the van but rarely use it... Makes me wonder if I need it for the odd time I do use it.

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
I go 17 ft more room tow better not hard to rev just take time annex if got kids I go for it more room and a good for resale . We have a annex and mesh walls I mix and match the wslls depending on the weather mesh good for summer canvas good for winter and locking stuff up at night like bikes

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Having had both single and tandems over the past 23 years, I have found the new single axles are very similar to the tandems. Room wise, we found the 16 ft gave a slightly bigger kitchen with the shower and toilet. The size thing is a personal decision.
I have an annexe for ours and have used it twice in 2 years, generally leave it home.

How many children do you have? Do you want an ensuite?

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hi all, new to this site and caravaning. We are looking at buying a new jayco expander at this stage 16ft possible 17ft if anyone can give me a reason why they might be better.

My main question is we were originally looking at getting a full annex but i'm a bit turned off that as we enjoy sitting outside kids running around and watching everyone in the park go by. I'm now looking at the sun blocker or wind blocker, I'm just concerned if we get bad weather about being stuck inside. Is it worth purchasing any of the above or not really worth it?

Also My Hubby is quiet good when it comes to towing and reversing things LOL we were leaning towards the 16ft single axle as they told us it will be easier to park reverse etc, the 17ft would be harder but easier to tow, I'm quiet concerned about that having never done the caravan thing before. Any advice on single or double axle making a difference?

Thanks so much to anyone who can offer advice :)
hi crazyfun having driven semis , plenty of single axle trailors now a 1756-2 dual axel I can say its far easier to reverse a dual axle or even a semi the more wheels u have the slower it reacts u just be gently on ur steering wheel let the van do its stuff maybe someone can back me up on this???, the 17 is good for cold weather with the separate table for kids if u want it where the bunks are

Crazyfun

Jun 26, 2014
Thanks everyone we have ordered the 17ft no ensuite bit excited, 3 kids we plan while they are little to have one in the top bunk and 2 in the end bed and leave extra table set up, will eventually use that bed if they don't want to share anymore. Decided not to go the annex will reassess that later if we feel we need it. Can't wait for our first trip I'm sure I will stress all the way to wherever we go haha

Reactions: JOBSWAN

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Hi @Susan and :welcome: I'm fairly new here also and I must say there is so much you can learn from these guys. 16 - 17 doesn't really matter, the best part is you're a QUEENSLANDER and we have the best part of OZ at our doorstep :p

Reactions: benandjordansmum

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Thanks everyone we have ordered the 17ft no ensuite bit excited, 3 kids we plan while they are little to have one in the top bunk and 2 in the end bed and leave extra table set up, will eventually use that bed if they don't want to share anymore. Decided not to go the annex will reassess that later if we feel we need it. Can't wait for our first trip I'm sure I will stress all the way to wherever we go haha
don't forget to vote in the size poll 17s are winning yea !!!!!!! we went the toilet and shower just for the kids 3 year old and 8 mounth old but both growing fast but we loose a lot of bench space well done its a great van

Reactions: dagree

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
The 17's seem to have a lot less bench space in them. The 17' Journey we have on order has minimal bench space compared to our current 14', much to Mrs CR's concern.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
My very first post......we have three kids (5,3&8months) and we bought a 16.49-4 this year. I have just put a deposit on an annex, with an 'add a room' and a front veranda. Most of our holidays will be 1-2 hours from Brisbane where we will stay for a week or two at a time. Although our kids are little now they are going to grow and take up ALOT of space soon. For us an annex will provide much needed living space, security for outside TV, car fridge etc. I am hoping our boys will one day want to sleep in the add a room. We ordered the veranda so we can sit outside and maintain the social aspect we all love about caravanning. Fingers crossed we now use it.

We purchased a 16 over a 17 simple because we didn't have the room to manoeuvre it into the required space at home. Sigh.....
By the way, welcome!

JOBSWAN

Nov 3, 2012
Mandurah WA
Welcome @Crazyfun, we have also just ordered a 17 56 1. Can't wait for it to arrive, unfortunately not till November.
Anyway you will find lots of great valuable information on this forum and some really friendly people who are more than happy to help you out when it comes to mods on the van.

My only problem is I can't stay away from the place now! :banplease: