Starcraft Advice for bolt on jockey wheel for Jayco outback 5" frame

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Hello,

I have a Jayco Starcraft 17-58.3 OB and need a second jockey wheel.

I would like to bolt it on with "u" bolts and possibly a swing up version.

Anyone done this and can advise where I could buy from?

Thank you

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Can buy the swing up type from anywhere, Supercheap, BCF, most caravan shops, though the swing up job, unless you can fit it inside the drawbar will foul a WDH set up and isn't suited to bolt on, bolt off.
You do need the clamp to hold a normal one on but they can be welded to a plate which you could U bolt to a rail.

Reactions: KECL and bigcol

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
I searched what was on the market and ended up buying a BOS jockey wheel (the one with 400mm) travel and baseplate (didnt get the wheel)

Comes with an extension that can give another 120mm too.

Should give me enough height wherever I go.

Looks like a great product!

MickB

Nov 24, 2017
Newcastle
Hi Jared01,

How did you end up attaching it to the 5in drawbar. I've been thinking about adding a swing up and I only want
a bolt on option, don't really want to weld a plate on.

Thanks

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Hi Jared01,

How did you end up attaching it to the 5in drawbar. I've been thinking about adding a swing up and I only want

Thanks

I had quite a look at who jockey wheels were on the market and thought about the "XO 500 series" jockey wheels which are quite tough but are quite heavy too and would have added to my A-frame weight worries, so gave it a miss.

I didn't need to get any extra brackets or anything, the boss jockey wheel just fits into the existing jockey wheel clamp on the A-frame

I am heading out tomorrow for 1 night to test the diesel heater and a few other things (check measurements for WDH to determine if standard shank will be suitable, see if stone guard on A-frame will be hit by my car when full locking the car left/right) so will take a few photos

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Jared01,

Thanks

Just be aware there’s been a few serious failures of swing away jockey wheels on heavy vans and trailers there really only good for light ball weights. As above the bos jockey wheel does a good job of easy pack up. You leave the jockey wheel in place and just remove the leg in 10secs .

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Tried the boss jockey wheel over the weekend and worked well as expected.

I even got my 5 year old daughter to finish winding it up with the red hand to finish levelling the caravan off whilst I looked at the spirit level placed in the entrance of the caravan.

Now the issue I have is that the jockey wheel will get in the way when using a WDH which I will be buying.

Been looking and looking and have now settled on buying 2 parts from boss so I can install the wheel on the inside of the A-frame

010-033 Mounting Plate 75-150mm Kit
010-034 BOS 50mm Clamp and Bolts

Just got to figure out where I can mount it. Perhaps I need to move the ESC light panel. or put one of the bolts through the existing jockey wheel clamp on the other side as shown in with the red lines.

Might ask for a data sheet to check the dimensions from BOS

Attachments

• 20180519_144421.jpg
    20180519_144421.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 636
Reactions: achjimmy