Adjustments for the Tug

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
Good Evening,

Well I am certainly happy with the van at the moment, after spending some time in it, I am also happy with the mods and additions we have made, they are functional and suit what we want to get out of the van for now.

Which just leaves me with a couple of niggling issues with the Tug out front. I have an 2010 NT Pajero with HD OME suspension, bar, batteries, winch, snorkel, wiring upgrades etc, which has and is a great platform but I have a few questions. I noted on the bottom of the most of the replies that there are a few Pajero owners, as well as other 4WD owners who have a few mods I am interested in and would love some feedback.

When we put the van on, it drops the tail about 1&1.2-2 inches, not much and when you look at a photo of the car, they seem to be well positioned together, sitting nice and level. But alas I get a few head light flashes if driving at night because those few incidents lift the lights. I don't want or need a levelling system but I am considering airbags. Any thoughts from the forum? If I lift the back, it might make the van a little nose high so I might also need a little lower shank for towing?

IMG_6918.jpg

And I am also interested on experiences folks have had with diesel chip upgrades or upgrades to exhaust, performance (real life), economy and improvement to towing performance.

Thanks for any advice you can give, this will be the start of a few projects, which will no doubt require a few more overtime shifts to cover the costs.

Cheers

Paul

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Paul, Nice looking set up there, and your very courteous towards fellow drivers on the road too re the headlights, wish there were more of you.

In our Pathy I went the airbags and have never looked back, don't use WDH any more and even put the bike rack on now. I think you could go the lift in the rear and don't worry about the angle of the van, perhaps put a trolley jack under the ball and jack it to the measurement you want to see the result, stand back and look from a distance, even go as far as placing a panel board at the front to see the light beam alter.

As for the chip upgrades, I'm not familiar with the Pajero though the flexibility and under foot available power they offer is phenomenal, yes economy will suffer as your foot goes closer to the floor though that is with out saying, As for driving not towing, I've seen great figures coming back from our rig. Exhaust is another good performer for diesel mod and this works well in hand with a performance chip.

I guess there is your option if reviewing a Pajero forum for a lot of information there is a lot to read from forums. I'm pretty sure those Pajero owners here will reply to you also.

Cheers Pace.

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Hey Paul,

We should organise a local forum meetup!!

We are in Wodonga!

Nice looking tug there!

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
With regards to chips & exhausts.
My advise is, lots of research, and actual owners reviews. There are definitely cases out out there that have had less than desireable results. (Not necessariy Paj ones but in general)

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
With regards to chips & exhausts.
My advise is, lots of research, and actual owners reviews. There are definitely cases out out there that have had less than desireable results. (Not necessariy Paj ones but in general)
I figured as much, there is a lot of fairly wild claims on some of the manufacturers web sites so I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has had either done.

Cheers Paul

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I am one of those guys that had less than desirable results. In fact it almost cost me in excess of $3000 to get the car fixed as a result.
I would give it another go but learnings are that there is no such thing as a cheap chip.
Go to a reliable diesel mechanic(s), get some recommendations, overlay that with what the forum and google has to offer in terms of reviews and go from there.

Reactions: Nemesis and Pace

billykidd

Apr 2, 2013
Brisbane
Paul, I've an NP paj and find the pajero club of Victoria website very good for info on upgrades. The forum is good ( not as good as here of course) to ask questions on, if you haven't already looked there.

Redbarn

May 4, 2013
Brisbane, QLD
Paul, I have an 07 Navara 2.5TDI to tow my 16:49:3. I did a lot of research as I wanted to increase torque. I settled on a Steinbauer box installed by Motsons who are Diesel mechanics in Brisbane who Dyno before and after. I got 20% more power and 15% more torque to the rear wheels. Importantly the improvements came in the lower rev range. It is a great improvement and has sorted my towing issues. The Steinbauer is from Austria and from my research it became clear that increasing fuel rail pressure in the TDI's is not wise. This unit doesn't do that. I'm going to start researching a custom exhaust upgrade next to see if that can bring anymore low end torque improvements as my exhaust needs replacing. Whatever I do, I require dyno evidence (I am a Faculty of Health Professor, research and efficacy are important) if it's not adding to the overall performance and safety for my setup, I'm not interested in it.

For towing I had ESC installed to the van, Airbag suspension in the rear of the ute, adjustable shock absorbers all round and updated front springs, all Tough Dog. My setup is a dream to tow, perfectly level and tracks extremely well. I do not use a WDH with this setup.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Nemesis & Redbarn I have a 2006 Navara, the last of the 3.0L STR's. Rather than a chip, I went with gas addition and a Beaudesert Exhaust's 2.75" mandrel bent exhaust systems. While there were a few nigglely problems with the gas which are all sorted (except the company has gone belly up) I am very happy with it, as the truck uses around 11L/100 diesel and about 3L/100 gas when towing.

The exhaust also has been very good but as it was fitted at the same time as the gas I can't tell which has made the most improvement but overall I find the setup works well. This engine is not a common rail so I can't say what it may do with that engine.

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Good Evening,

Well I am certainly happy with the van at the moment, after spending some time in it, I am also happy with the mods and additions we have made, they are functional and suit what we want to get out of the van for now.

Which just leaves me with a couple of niggling issues with the Tug out front. I have an 2010 NT Pajero with HD OME suspension, bar, batteries, winch, snorkel, wiring upgrades etc, which has and is a great platform but I have a few questions. I noted on the bottom of the most of the replies that there are a few Pajero owners, as well as other 4WD owners who have a few mods I am interested in and would love some feedback.

When we put the van on, it drops the tail about 1&1.2-2 inches, not much and when you look at a photo of the car, they seem to be well positioned together, sitting nice and level. But alas I get a few head light flashes if driving at night because those few incidents lift the lights. I don't want or need a levelling system but I am considering airbags. Any thoughts from the forum? If I lift the back, it might make the van a little nose high so I might also need a little lower shank for towing?

View attachment 15736

And I am also interested on experiences folks have had with diesel chip upgrades or upgrades to exhaust, performance (real life), economy and improvement to towing performance.

Thanks for any advice you can give, this will be the start of a few projects, which will no doubt require a few more overtime shifts to cover the costs.

Cheers

Paul

G'day Nemesis, I have a 09 NT Paj, and have just ordered the beaudesert exhaust, waiting for it to arrive today. I used the pajero club forum(am a member there as well) to do some research. I also have a few customers that have used beaudesert before and no complaints at all from them. I have spoken to a few people in regards to that and chips and have found that most people recommend 2.75" exhaust as going to 3" can cause over boosting. As for chips everybody has ideas in regards to what works best for them. I think that I will go the DP chip when funds permit, no association with them, just heard good feed back. I'm more after trying to get rid of the dreaded lag, and of course a bit more go. I personally use a WDH , which I think Mitsubishi recommend when the ball weight exceeds 135kg. My next upgrade will be suspension, so just working on what I will do with that. A few guys here use airbags and have found they work well. achjimmy had them on his Paj and was happy with them from memory. Can't remember if he had the Firestone or a different brand. I think there are Kevlar versions that are stronger as well. HTH.
Cheers
greynt

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
Paul, I've an NP paj and find the pajero club of Victoria website very good for info on upgrades. The forum is good ( not as good as here of course) to ask questions on, if you haven't already looked there.
Great, thanks I will have a gander over there, cheers Paul

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
Paul, I have an 07 Navara 2.5TDI to tow my 16:49:3. I did a lot of research as I wanted to increase torque. I settled on a Steinbauer box installed by Motsons who are Diesel mechanics in Brisbane who Dyno before and after. I got 20% more power and 15% more torque to the rear wheels. Importantly the improvements came in the lower rev range. It is a great improvement and has sorted my towing issues. The Steinbauer is from Austria and from my research it became clear that increasing fuel rail pressure in the TDI's is not wise. This unit doesn't do that. I'm going to start researching a custom exhaust upgrade next to see if that can bring anymore low end torque improvements as my exhaust needs replacing. Whatever I do, I require dyno evidence (I am a Faculty of Health Professor, research and efficacy are important) if it's not adding to the overall performance and safety for my setup, I'm not interested in it.

For towing I had ESC installed to the van, Airbag suspension in the rear of the ute, adjustable shock absorbers all round and updated front springs, all Tough Dog. My setup is a dream to tow, perfectly level and tracks extremely well. I do not use a WDH with this setup.
I agree with your notion of research, there is a lot of spin in the market place, I will have a look at the Steinbauer system.

The suspension on mine seems to do OK, but I think I am leaning toward the airbags to firm it up and stop uncessary losses from rear any movement/motion.

Thanks Paul

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
Nemesis & Redbarn I have a 2006 Navara, the last of the 3.0L STR's. Rather than a chip, I went with gas addition and a Beaudesert Exhaust's 2.75" mandrel bent exhaust systems. While there were a few nigglely problems with the gas which are all sorted (except the company has gone belly up) I am very happy with it, as the truck uses around 11L/100 diesel and about 3L/100 gas when towing.

The exhaust also has been very good but as it was fitted at the same time as the gas I can't tell which has made the most improvement but overall I find the setup works well. This engine is not a common rail so I can't say what it may do with that engine.

Thanks, I have seen recently that many of the 4wd mags have been talking up these mandrel bend exhausts, many profess good performance (from satisfied customers) anywhere from 2.5 - 3.0" systems. I own a GT Falcon and I certainly know that the re-program and exhaust work on that improved the car no end, so I was keen to know if it was the same with the diesels.

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
G'day Nemesis, I have a 09 NT Paj, and have just ordered the beaudesert exhaust, waiting for it to arrive today. I used the pajero club forum(am a member there as well) to do some research. I also have a few customers that have used beaudesert before and no complaints at all from them. I have spoken to a few people in regards to that and chips and have found that most people recommend 2.75" exhaust as going to 3" can cause over boosting. As for chips everybody has ideas in regards to what works best for them. I think that I will go the DP chip when funds permit, no association with them, just heard good feed back. I'm more after trying to get rid of the dreaded lag, and of course a bit more go. I personally use a WDH , which I think Mitsubishi recommend when the ball weight exceeds 135kg. My next upgrade will be suspension, so just working on what I will do with that. A few guys here use airbags and have found they work well. achjimmy had them on his Paj and was happy with them from memory. Can't remember if he had the Firestone or a different brand. I think there are Kevlar versions that are stronger as well. HTH.
Cheers
greynt
Greynt, thanks I am definately going to have a look at the Paj forum. On the responses I have had so far and what I have read outside of the forum I think I will get the airbags for sure, I am seriously considering the exhaust upgrade after a little more reading and the Chip will be a lower priority for now. All and all I am happy with the Paj, but like you said I just want to lessen the lag when getting past trucks mainly.

The ball weight is a little higher on the 14.44.4 however I already had the suspension upgraded to HD on the rear so it handles it quite well and I think that the airbags will just top it off. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers

Paul

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Cheers
greynt

hey Grey I had the polyaires but tbh I thought they were a waste on my NT. in the end I rarely put more than 5 psi in them and they squeaked heaps which poo'd me. I have heard the Kevlar bags toughen them and quieten them so I'd go that way. Really think its horses for courses. I passed on airbags for the cruiser this time but think I will need to add some just to get about 10mm lift. No WDH on either vehicle But that's not to say I see advantages just I didn't feel I needed them.