Suspension Adding shocks

Jazdiver

May 26, 2016
Berwick
image.jpg
Howdy all, thinking of under slinging my axles for some additional ground clearance on my 18.57-6. No problems here, seems plenty of people have done this before. But I'm considering adding shocks to smooth it out a little. I added shocks to my offroad camper trailer years ago nd it made a huge difference. Has anyone done one similar, or added shocks at all?

Reactions: Indiandme

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I already have shocks on my Outback. They are Alko as is the rest of the suspension. I have had one replaced under warranty. From what I have learn't Bilstein, Koni, or Pedders woul be the way to go.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
By all reports the kit jobs are easy to fit and work well.
If your going to put your axle under the springs then don't forget your hitch will be about 100mm higher so run a tape over the van and tug hitch positions so you have an idea where things will be before you do the mod. depending on how much clearance you want a tyre/rim change can give the extra wanted. 25 to 50mm is easily achieved with tyre/rim changes, if you have the room that is.

Jazdiver

May 26, 2016
Berwick
Thanks, I have to invert my tow bar already to get it low enough and the tug is lifted anyway, so another 4-6 inches would be welcome. Haven't seen any wheel tyre combo's for sale anywhere for Jayco's. was considering changing out the wheels and tyres.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You would have to track down a set of rims that match, need not be Jayco though......just have to work out how much off sett you can allow with a matching stud pattern and the diameter that will fit, the website www.carbibles.com has a calculator which gives you rim/tyres sizes makes the job easier to figure out what will fit in the wheel arch.

Reactions: dagree

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
I don't think it needs shocks.
I went down the most awful corrugated road a couple of months ago then dragged the beast through a few sandy moguls.
I expected that everything in the van would be stuffed as the car almost died, to my surprise we did not even break a egg.
I have the outback version so i'm not sure if the springs are rated any different but i do not have shocks.

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
I don't think it needs shocks.
I went down the most awful corrugated road a couple of months ago then dragged the beast through a few sandy moguls.
I expected that everything in the van would be stuffed as the car almost died, to my surprise we did not even break a egg.
I have the outback version so i'm not sure if the springs are rated any different but i do not have shocks.

Don't think it would need shocks either however if you do, the most important thing is to get the shocks as vertical as possible and as far "outboard" as possible to get the most benefit.