Starcraft About to head off on a big trip - any advice on spare parts etc I should take?

timbo2002

Jan 15, 2014
Sydney
Hi - I have a Starcraft 17.58-3 (being towed by a Prado Diesel) - and in a month or so we are heading off on a 3 month trip around central/western australia. any advice on what spare parts I should carry for such a trip? anything more likely to break? we are doing some off-road/corrugated roads etc - so was wondering if you have any thoughts on what might break? Or what we should do to prepare our rig pre-trip?

So far the only mod I have done is a reverse camera - and I intend to make some sort of removable covers for the vents to limit the amount of red dirt that finds its way into the van. I am also getting a second jockey wheel holder thingy installed for my motorised jockey wheel, and have a WDH - and an anti-sway bar (which I need to install at some stage!).

Thanks in advance for your advice - am a novice at this, so any advice will be eagerly accepted!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @timbo2002 You should have a look at the water tank connections underneath and make sure stones etc cant break them. Everything underneath should be checked for line of fire for stones, but you dont want to loose your water.

Underscrew all your hinges etc (1 screw at a time) and replace the screw with a dob of glue or silicone etc

Reseal all your floor penetrations (pipes etc) for dust. Check all the mouldings and anywhere theres a join and seal. Turn all you lights on inside the van, and at night crawl underneath looking for any light sneaking through and seal it

And last of all have a great trip

Reactions: Johnno48

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi @timbo2002 we are planning for our big trip for next year and this is the list I have so far.

Pre Trip Check
Oil and filter change
Air cleaner change
Fuel filter change
Transfer and gearbox fluid change
Diff oil change
Radiator fluid change
oil joints had the crap greased out of them
Exhaust mounts checked
Shocks inspected
Low voltage cut out put in aux battery
Every bolt that we can see checked.....

This is my list of tools etc so far, an early list which will be revised over the coming months but a starting list, might also be a few double ups on here.........

Tools

1 Plain Screwdriver
1 Phillips Screwdriver
1 Pair Pliers
1 Pair Long Nosed Pliers
1 200mm Adjustable Spanner
1 Tire Pressure Gauge
1 Set Metric Spanners (combination open end and ring)
2 Screwdrivers, 1 Narrow, 1 Broad
1 Set Metric Sockets
1 Socket Ratchet Arm
1 450mm Socket Extension Arm
1 100mm Socket Extension Arm
1 Small Engineers Hammer
1 Hacksaw and small blades
1 Puncture Repair Kit
1 Each Top and Bottom Radiator Hoses
1 Hand Tire Pump
1 Large Fuel Funnel
1 Large Water Funnel
2 70cm Tire Levers
1 Pair Scissors
1 Wheel Brace
1 Fan Belt, 1 Power Steering Belt
1 Small Funnel
1 Set Jumper Leads (200amp)
1 Can CRC® (or similar product)
1 500ml Brake Fluid
1 500ml Gear Oil
1 500ml Auto Transmission Fluid
1 500gm High Temperature Bearing Grease
1 5 litre Engine Oil
1 Tube Araldite®
1 Silastic® Gasket Cement
1 Oil Filter
1 Roll Insulating Tape
1 Hearth Brush
1 50mm Paint Brush
1 Epoxy Resin
1 Loctite®
1 Fuel Filter
1 Roll Masking Tape
1 Roll Rubber Vulcanising Tape
1 Roll 8mm Roll Flywire (Fibreglass about 6mtrs.)
1 Roll 3mm Electrical Cable (about 6 mtrs.)
1 Roll 6mm Electrical Cable (about 6 mtrs.)
2 Large Cross Patches
1 Block Hardwood, Baseplate (300mm X 300mm X 50mm)
1 Hydraulic Jack (3 tonne Capacity)
Plastic Tubing (about 3 metres)
6 Spare Fuses
1 Heavy Duty Magnet
Torque Wrench
Cordless Impact Wrench
Socket Set
Spanner Set
Spare Shocks
Spare Air Filters
Spare Hoses (As Above)
Spare Clamps
Oil
Coolant
Tyre Repair Kit
Tie-down straps (nylon)
Strap-ties - 40cm or longer ones
Duct Tape
Fusing tape - for hose repairs
Fencing wire
Puncture Repair Kit
Assorted nuts and bolts
Spare jubilee clips
Spare air filter
Spare fuel filter
Spare fan belt
Spare fuses
length of fuel hose
Engine Oil
Transmission Oil
Brake Fluid
metal glue (for radiator / fuel tank)
Butane Soldering Iron
Superglue
Silicon sealant
Hacksaw
sandpaper
WD40
Spare radiator hoses

I am sure many people take and recommend different things, as of course it always depends how remote you are going and also the weight of all the above items can add up.

I am sure there wil be heaps of other good recommendations on there for you, good luck

Burnsie

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Hi - I have a Starcraft 17.58-3 (being towed by a Prado Diesel) - and in a month or so we are heading off on a 3 month trip around central/western australia. any advice on what spare parts I should carry for such a trip? anything more likely to break? we are doing some off-road/corrugated roads etc - so was wondering if you have any thoughts on what might break? Or what we should do to prepare our rig pre-trip
We did the Strezlecki track last year and the only thing we broke was some cupboard latches and the door latches. The cupboard latch break was due to poor packing on our part, but the door latches were due to chassis flexion. A roll of duct tape was our on road fix until we bought some replacements at the nearest Jayco dealer and also some spares.
I also covered as much piping and wiring underneath as I could and was glad I went to the trouble after checking the dents in the water tank stone guards on our return!
I have similar (but not as extensive) list of tools as @burnsie and also a new set of wheel bearings (for the Ecpanda) and grease.
Good luck with the trip!

Last edited:

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
After 8000km so far, including some very bad roads near Tom Price the only things we've broken are one plastic ladder catch and the plastic catch for the toilet door. I carry sockets, screw drivers, leatherman tool, duct tape, plumber tape, electrical tape, a mixed screw set, some engine, cable ties...cant think of any more.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hi - I have a Starcraft 17.58-3 (being towed by a Prado Diesel) - and in a month or so we are heading off on a 3 month trip around central/western australia. any advice on what spare parts I should carry for such a trip? anything more likely to break? we are doing some off-road/corrugated roads etc - so was wondering if you have any thoughts on what might break? Or what we should do to prepare our rig pre-trip?

So far the only mod I have done is a reverse camera - and I intend to make some sort of removable covers for the vents to limit the amount of red dirt that finds its way into the van. I am also getting a second jockey wheel holder thingy installed for my motorised jockey wheel, and have a WDH - and an anti-sway bar (which I need to install at some stage!).

Thanks in advance for your advice - am a novice at this, so any advice will be eagerly accepted!
maybe armor flex over ur pipe work under the van

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
cover the plumbing s best you can, seal for dust (you wont stop it though) puncture repair kit and a decent compressor, a few different tools, duct tape and thats about all you can do. Modern vehicles are not repairable on the side of the road any more, remember tools way a heap also, so if I had to chose between tools and beer the tools would be left behind :) Most of all enjoy your travels and if you do break down take it as an unexpected rest, cheers

Oh and remember every town in Australia has a Holden dealer and a Toyota dealer (unfortunately none have Jeep dealers though, but thats okay the never fail) :behindsofa:

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Oh and remember every town in Australia has a Holden dealer and a Toyota dealer (unfortunately none have Jeep dealers though, but thats okay the never fail) :behindsofa:

NQR no holden dealer between Katherine NT and Broome WA. Toyota probably has more dealers now.