16' Series 7 pin setup on 2009 expanda

terryzarmzoff

Sep 30, 2015
brisbane
hi all
i bought a 16ft expanda and fridge doesn't seem to run on 12v when hooked to the car. theres no battery attached under the seat. my question is does jayco run a power wire from the van to its 7 pin plug that runs the fridge and does the battery have to be in the van for it to work?
cheers
terry

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome @terryzarmzoff. Answers to your questions, yes and no. Yes. Jayco run a pair of wires from the fridge to the 7 pin plug and no, the battery does not have to be in the van for the fridge to work on 12v.

The fridge is not connected to the van battery at all. It will only run from the car battery and will flatten that battery if left hooked up for more than a couple of hours. But of course the car has to have a pair of cables in its connection supplying the 12v to the van to run the fridge.

First thing would be to find out if there is 12v on the plug from the car then check if is getting through the "rats nest " of wires where they come out of the A frame and enter the van.

There are a number of threads on the forum where our gurus have answered this type of problem but I'm sure some of them will jump in with a bit more help for you.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have found on some 7 pin set ups the fridge wire is not wired up.........do a quick search there are some big write ups.

Fridge running on 12 v whilst driving isn't really needed anyway.

Reactions: bigcol

terryzarmzoff

Sep 30, 2015
brisbane
I have found on some 7 pin set ups the fridge wire is not wired up.........do a quick search there are some big write ups.

Fridge running on 12 v whilst driving isn't really needed anyway.
hi Drover, just wondering how you keep your fridge cold when driving?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I chill down the fridge first of all on 240 for a day before we pack it up and while mine will run on 12v, it will only keep it at temp, it won't cool down and on trips out west (35d) when we have forgotten to turn it over to 12v the temp has hardly risen, not enough to worry about anyway........maybe 2 deg, even on 12 v if you open the door up a couple of times the temp won't go back down.
Thats a 3 way fridge set up anyway.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Can't yet comment on the efficiency of the fridge in our Basestation but with our previous 2011 Swan, we did turn it on 24hours before, via mains 240v, but often found that when running on 12v, the temperature would reduce further....sometimes freezing food at the top of the fridge! It was wired via 6B&S cables and an Anderson plug to the car battery.
Re wired our 12pin plug on the Basestation to a 7pin round and 2 Anderson plugs - one for the fridge and the second for the battery charging, ESC, and Breakaway unit. 6B&S cable from the Anderson plug to the fridge.