50mm Hitch packer - Where to get one?

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
So with all this talk of the packers, can anyone advise what are the actual measurements of the height of the hitch when standard.
I presume the 16.49 will be lower with the overslung axle and may be better with the packer, but is the 17or 18 already at the maximum ADR height with the underslung?

I had the dealer measure one in his yard & he came back with 420mm to the bottom of the Trigg Block. That doesn't leave much space to lift it & keep within the ADR.

By the way I got an email back today from the dealer saying that Jayco Factory will not fit 50mm Hitch lift blocks & they advised the dealer not to do it either.

He also confirmed the Overslung axle on the Outback Single Axle versions, which is in line with info on this forum. It's just that the original info I had was underslung. As said the before dealers probably don't really know & need to check with the factory.

Paul

Reactions: straydingo

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
I got told exactly the same yesterday too

Just spoke to Jayco Canberra & they knew exactly what I was talking about. They can supply them altough I was told they outsource them from someone local (not Jayco) It comes as a Kit c/w longer bolts.
He said they could also fit them for you if required. Seems the different dealers tell us different stories.
I'm not going to chase this up with my dealer anymore as he has checked this twice for me now. I'll just wait until I take delivery & if theres a hitch height problem I'll order one then.

Paul

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I got Canberra to fit mine when i took delivery of my van. It would be a very easy job to do yourself though.

At least you have a backup plan now:rockon:

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Mine hitched up on the WDH

10062011413.jpg

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
a very old thread here, anyone know where I can get one on Melbourne, just had the suspension on the Everest done, now need to level the van again.

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
What about a drop shank on the hitch like the Hayman Reese ones?
Thanks,

I've got the lowest they make, funny enough about the Everest, our van was on the lowest setting, with the lowest HR shank before we did the suspension lift.

I think the spacer will be the only way forward.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I thought I had a link to a place but can't find it, any half decent metal fab shop can make one up while you wait just make a template of the bolt pattern and widths , all should be good, of course new HT bolts and Nyloc nut with HT washers...I will keep looking though.
I wouldn't worry about the ADR heights for hitches all that much, I tried when I lifted my Jeep and 14.44 but didn't succeed it was 500mm, those heights are suitable for cars, anyway Big Mal with no height mods is 570mm from ground to base of ball coupling so well over and thats how it came from the Coromal factory but sits nice and level on back of the Colorado which has a lift but doesn't need a plough fitted.........fitting a drop hitch negates the need for an OB van I reckon.
Alternatively just get a steel fab shop to stick a plate on top of the bar and bolt hitch on top, all perfectly legal and probably a better weld than a dealer would do.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The ADR's has it at something like 350 to 460 mm, ground to middle of ball, there is a way around it, can't recall the whole thing but I fitted a Tregg so that altered the equation, with Big Mal it has a 50mm ball and since it came from the factory at that height it must have been approved so left it as is, as it's a very Goldilocks Set Up, just right............problem with OB vans they are supposed to be for off road but drop the hitch down to a lower level for ordinary tow rigs so if you have an off road set up they fit a plough on the hitch and defeat the purpose or you have to go the way your going with a block or a new mounting plate.
the block needs to be a solid billet, hollow square needs to have crush tubes fitted where the bolts go thru or they will crush the tube, 2 x 25mm plates cut and drilled to fit would be okay, could even get that off the shelf and do at home in alloy, steel if you have a drill press and good bits.

Reactions: bigcol

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
did you underslung the Starcraft? maybe that get it more level as well..
I looked at one of these to raise the up as the DO35 I brought to long.
Mixed reports if they are legal or not.. could not find anything concrete either way.. Just the old "I heard" Like I am doing now sorry mate :(

Seen people weld a plate over the top as well and re mount the hitch

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
did you underslung the Starcraft? maybe that get it more level as well..
I looked at one of these to raise the up as the DO35 I brought to long.
Mixed reports if they are legal or not.. could not find anything concrete either way.. Just the old "I heard" Like I am doing now sorry mate :(

Seen people weld a plate over the top as well and re mount the hitch
Thanks Dave, no, not underslung, van wouldn't fit thru the garage.

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
Crisis averted (I think), my Dad has found a place in Melb that can sell a solid piece of aluminium to size, he can drill and fit for me. Will let you know how we go.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Excellant.................measure your tug on level ground from ground to hitch then with van all level measure to similar point on the hitch, ideal rule of thumb the tug should be 25mm higher so when hooked up things should be close to level........................don't forget the HT bolts, washers and nylocs, if no nylocs just use 2 nuts on each bolt and tighten first one up then the second one on top of it, old style lock nuts.............probably preaching to the converted but someone may need the info.