Starcraft 2016 Starcraft Outback 20.62-3 fibreglass walls cracking

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
We sold our Expanda last year and bought a new 2016 Starcraft Outback 20.62-3.
On our first trip we noticed a hand sized cluster of cracks in the gel coat near the door. Each trip more appeared (all in the same wall) and in May this year a large horizontal crack appeared right across the front of the van above the windows. I took into the authorised repairer who had a fibreglass repair company look at it.With their trained eye they found even more faults in the gel coat.
To Jayco's credit they are replacing the front roll piece and the entire passenger side wall.

Anyone else had cracks/crazing in the gel coat of their new van?

This van is kept in a shed when not in use.

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Wow, that's unreal. Do you mind sharing some pics of the damage please? That would be a complex task to replace:(.
Hope the van still feels solid after the repair.

Reactions: bigcol

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I had a small on near the light on the from of an Expanda from new. Took to van to them after 7-8 months (basically when we finished playing with the new toy) and it has been fixed under warranty. No dramas.

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
Wow, that's unreal. Do you mind sharing some pics of the damage please? That would be a complex task to replace:(.
Hope the van still feels solid after the repair.
Sorry for the late reply Eddii. I tried to find some of the pics but it was impossible to see. Unfortunately I didn't get any with the graphite (like the cops use for looking for finger prints) It stood out like the proverbial dogs balls then. If you imagine a palm sized area of raised cracks running parallel to each other vertically up the van with the highest ridges in the middle and decreasing in magnitude towards the outer edge. There were several of these on the door side of the van.
The other crack was a single line between the lights (the ones that come on when your headlights are on) on the front of the van.

They will have had it for two days short of 4 weeks when we get it back this Thursday for the school holidays. Even then it won't have a all the decals on the side as Jayco still hasn't supplied them. How the hell it takes over 12 weeks for Jayco to make some decals is beyond me

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
You're right, decals should be plentiful at the factory. Hopefully it'll be ready by school holidays. Keep us posted with the results;)
Cheers Eddii