16' Series 2015 Expanda, how strong are the roofs ?

Rod Mahl

Sep 23, 2023
2015Expanda
Hi all, thanks for any info, heaps of threads on USA pages but nothing on Aus sites, I would like to know has anyone got on their Jayco expanda roofs to clean, buff and dig out and reseal silicon joins? I’m 100kg for those guessing

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
the only time i have done any real maintance on my van roof i have used painters trestles and planks , jobs like digging out silicon will cause a lot of movement and maybe its best that your body weight is not on the roof which could lead to sagging and bigger issues than you now have ,

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ditto on @poor but proud , trestle/ladder only, not wise at all to put your body weight on the roof, no matter what the brand..............

When I did the roof on my old 14.44 and my current van I used tressles and for the hard to get to get at spots I put the stands on either side and the boards over the roof for me to lay on, kept off the roof completely....

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi all, thanks for any info, heaps of threads on USA pages but nothing on Aus sites, I would like to know has anyone got on their Jayco expanda roofs to clean, buff and dig out and reseal silicon joins? I’m 100kg for those guessing
Use a polyurethane sealant rather than just a silicon sealant. Lasts longer, sticks better and is tougher too. Silicons tend to split and peel after a while. I use Selleys polyurethane Sealant/Adhesive (white) which does not make a mess and is easy to apply with a gun and clean up with turps. From Bunnings. If you have the cash, there is a product called "Eternabond" which is superior to all others and last 20 to 30 years!! The link is below for your reading.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
I use half inch ply sheets cut in two when up on my poptop roof .Spreads your weight ,never had a problem!