2013 BT50 initial thoughts

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
A few people have asked for a report on the BT50 as a tug. After returning from our first trip with this vehicle and having covered on 1500KM's here goes -

The tug is a new BT50 4x4 GT, the van is a 2013 Expanda 20.63-1 full height van weighing 2300kg's empty and ball weight of 155kg's empty (according to the compliance plate). The ute had some kids toys in the tray, three kids in the back and two 'adults' up front. The van had all of our clothes, food, drink and other stuff for 1 week of travel off the grid including two full water tanks.

My first challenge was hitching and I really regret not springing for the reverse camera. Once hitched the rear suspension of the ute drooped maybe 1.5 - 2 inches, I don't have a WDH.

Pulling away for the first time required a noticeable amount more right foot to get going but once rolling the ute did not require much throttle input than usual.

While cruising on level roads and up mild inclines the auto stayed in 6th gear, at 100 km/h the engine was running at about 1950 RPM.

On the trip to Mildura from Melbourne I set the cruise control to 100 KM/h and git 18 litres per hundred, we were driving in to the strong wind all the way.

On the return trip we also had strong winds but I set the cruise control to just under 90 and got fuel economy of 13 litres per hundred.

Without the van I get about 8 litres per hundred around town.

Driving the BT50 is very comfy and does not feel like driving a truck at all. It handles much better than my previous 105 series Landcruiser but not as good as my old 2002 BMW 330.

Overall I am very happy with it.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I got an auto dimming mirror with reverse camera/screen of eBay pretty cheap. Works a treat. Definitely a must have in my book

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
@maccayak, I presume you mean you are getting your 8l when NOT towing?

Yes, @Adam G just normal driving. But that is much better than previous cars we have had. We are looking at buying a similar vehicle for our business with occasional caravan towing required. This time we will go 4wd. Very happy with the Mazda, also like the Ranger as they include a lot of extras that you have to get when you buy a Mazda. Was at Holden the other day getting my work car serviced and the Colorados are on sale (I think always) anyway apart from being slightly noisier and having a dash which is not as nice, for the savings and fixed price service and pretty good write ups, we have been interested. A friend has one with an alloy tray and he is getting 13's and the strange thing is his economy is getting worse as the car is getting older and not the other way around. That was disappointing to hear.

bigbertha

Oct 6, 2012
port elliot sa
just a silly question but here goes ,we dont do any four wheel driving so would the rear wheel drive be okay or should we get the 4x4 anyway. appreciate all thoughts . i need a bit more convincing as going from landcruiser to mazda is still a hard decisoin will i be doing the right thing . have been checking out the bt50 and think they look very close in comparison .waiting to hear thanks.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We have the 2WD BT50. My wife wants the 4WD one next because she nearly got bogged at basketball with the kids. When we bought ours, 4WD was a lot more so we decided not to. So next upgrade will be 4WD BT50 or Ranger. Still luv the BT50, the 2WD will just become my work car.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbertha