2011 Jayco Expanda 17.56-2 what to look for

Hosko

Oct 8, 2018
Adelaide
Good afternoon all. New member and first time poster. Be kind

I will be travelling interstate on the weekend to look at a 2011 model Expanda. I'm looking for tips on what to look for. Such as known issues. Really not keen on buying a lemon. Happy to buy something though with easy fixes.

Let me know your thoughts.

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Have a good look around the bedends for mould and water damage.
Check the area around the water filler (from the inside) make sure its not spongy (water damage)
Ask when they last had it serviced and ask to see the report.
That year is usually when they need a suspension service (new pins rockers bushes etc) this will cost about $1200 is everything need doing.

Better still if you are set on it ask if you can get it serviced before handing over the money then ask the service agent to go through it with a fine tooth comb.
I would be more than happy to let the buyer do this with mine as then you both know exactly where you stand.

Reactions: Pace and PhilW

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Continuing on from above.....

- Does it have roof air con - look for the drain pipe not blocked then you’ll know the water has poured off the roof rather than into the roof cavity.
- Look at the bottom of the shower door for rotting.
- Have a peep behind the basin with a torch to see if water has pooled behind there when the =basin is lifted in travel position.
- Open up the toilet waste remove the waste tank and with a torch and a key ( but not like Tony Grieg testing the cricket pitch) see if the wood is soaked from potential water seepage from the shower.
- Under the waste tank, there’s 2 trap flaps for over flow water catchment, see if there’s signs of rust on those screws.
- Under the sink, the drain pipe can came loose and water damage potential there.
- Has the shower walls been painted, that era is known to yellow. As does the basin.
- Do all the drawer tracks run well or do they roll out on their own ( a sign the screws are missing hence the track is tilted over)
- Is there mould in the roof section from the condensation that builds up between the material and the ceiling
- Within the first 500mm of the awning is there mould signs there due the the awning being rolled up wet and not dried out.
- Was the van stored in direct sunlight, causing the the awning roll to become brittle and cracks appear along the sail track hence will leak.
- Are the lock screws in the awning extended support arm firm or have their thread been stripped.
- Do the hardline have their cushion gasket intact.
- Does the 2 way gas bottle selector leak.
- Is the spare wheel bolt bent from underneath due to being scrapped on ground.

Do you have the web link you could share for fellow banners to review to see for other things to jog their thought?

Cheers Pace.

Hosko

Oct 8, 2018
Adelaide
That is quite a extensive check list to follow. Appreciate all the tips. The van that i'm looking at is at a dealer in Melbourne. They must think that the sale is a sure thing as they have removed it from their website. The salesman is going to be horrified when I bring out the torch and moisture meter.

Hosko

Oct 8, 2018
Adelaide
So we ended up purchasing the van. Will be another post soon regarding caravan movers. Cant get it all the way up my driveway :o:o