16' Series 2010 16.49-3b Family Brisbane Bayside

druryfamily

Jan 22, 2012
Brisbane
Hello!

After the last 4 years starting with a 9 person tent, we then built our own camper trailer, then bought a 2001 Jayco Swan which did 2 big trips - a 2 week trip through outback Queensland - and last year a 2 week trip to Cape Tribulation and back, we then decided to look into an Expanda.

A fair bit of research was done and we decided to look for and buy a late model 16.49-3b. We found one of only a few that were around in Newcastle! It had everything we wanted - solar and dual batteries, ensuite and canvas annexe walls all ready to go. When we checked it over it looked like it had not done many trips - everything was like brand new.

Jayco Newcastle were great and we did the deal. Only catch was we had to drive to Newcastle from Brisbane to pick the new rig up. This worked out great because on the way back we stopped at Port Macquarie for the night which allowed us to have a good look at the van.

So far it is the best thing we have done!

Anyway there are 7 of us in total including 5 kids ages ranging from 6 to 13.

I have found this forum an excellent source of information and will share anything we come across.

Hopefully one day we will meet some of our fellow Expanda owners!

Sean & Julie Drury.

P1020564_small.JPGP1020570_small1.JPG

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Welcome to the forum!!
Sounds like you have a snagged a great van there.
Looking forward to seeing pics of many adventures.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome Sean & Julie. I like seeing more SE Queenslanders joining the forum. Looks like a great van you have found, :first: let's have some more details and pictures when you can. Look forward to seeing you on the road.

druryfamily

Jan 22, 2012
Brisbane
Thanks everyone.

Here are some more pics:

P1020567_small.JPGP1020568_small.JPGP1020570_small1.JPGP1020633_small.JPGP1020635_small.JPG

We have installed a Dometic PowrTouch electric mover to assist mostly with where the Expanda lives at home (we have very limited space!). I have converted most lights to LED internally as we plan to do a few bush camps when we can.

So far since purchasing in November last year we have driven from Newcastle (where we bought it), had a stopover in Port Macquarie, used it for a week down at Tweed Heads over the Xmas/New Year and have already planned our trips this year.

Every year we take 2 weeks off in one of the school holiday periods and 'go' somewhere - this year will be Sydney - Bathurst - Dubbo (many stops in between).

Generally we just can't wait to get on the road and travel somewhere!

Regards,
Sean & Julie.

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey Sean & Julie

Great van guys, you really scored. Good to see another 16ft Expanda family from Brisbane. Well done on fitting 5 kids and yourself in a 16.49-3 without bunk beds, how do you do it?

What part of the Bayside are you from? We are in the Redlands, always wanting to meet others and get new ideas.

Also there is a meet at Landcruiser Park on the May Day Long Weekend if you are interested. Check out the Meet / Members section for more info.

Cheers.

Reactions: druryfamily

druryfamily

Jan 22, 2012
Brisbane
Hi ElectricGuru,

We reside in the Wynnum area, so not too far away from the Redlands!

As for fitting everyone in, we only do a couple of trips a year with all 7 of us, at Easter the older kids use a tent and at Xmas we setup 2 sets of Oztrail bunks in the annexe. Other trips there is only 4 of us so we will fit nicely in the Expanda :)

The May long w/end we have planned to head out Warwick way for some bush camping, so looking forward to that!

We will keep an eye on any other events that pop up for sure.

Regards,
Sean & Julie.

Dreaves

Jul 14, 2012
Rockhampton, QLD
Hi Drury Family, Just noticed on your photos the clothesline on the side wall. Would you be able to share any info on it please as we are looking at different ideas. Thanks Dreaves

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
I'd love a power mover, I bet it takes the strain off the relationship! I think I have to remember to tell my wife I love her after I back the caravan down our driveway & place it beside the shed.