Starcraft 19.61-3

Laneway

Jan 4, 2017
Leinster, WA
Has anyone else taken ownership of there 19.61-3..........not much info floating around about these just yet. We have our OB model with too many extras :biggrin-26: on order and comes off the line mid april.

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
I am very interested in the 2017 Starcraft 19.63-3 Outback Caravan.

Only issue is I have a Pajero and if towball weight is >180kg, then max towing capacity is 2.5 tonnes.

On the brochure is states towball weight is 177kg, but when speaking with Jayco St Mary's they said that is empty weight (as expected) but no gas bottles on the front A frame either, so will be over 180kg towball weight. Then need to take into account they allow up to 450kg payload.

Wonder if upgrading the side walls from aluminium to fibreglass would increase or decrease the weight?????

I was really hoping this van was suitable to tow with the Pajero, but may need to speak with Jayco again to see if anything can be done.

There are at least 2 companies I have just come across (climax suspension & Signatory Automotive Engineering) that re-certify and engineer aftermarket spring/shock and airbag packages for the Pajero to increase it's towball weight to 300Kg with 3 tonne towing capacity. They even provide the compliance plate and deal with RMS etc.

My Pajero already has aftermarket springs/shocks/air bags but not the same as the companies have engineered. Currently enquirying about the cost to install or engineer my setup.

Looks like a great Van!

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover and bigcol

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
not sure what the touring model weighs you could get it underslung with a extended A-frame which bring down the TBM. Although not sure that would bring it down to under 180 in real world carry anything in the front of the van like water of stuff in your tunnel boat.

There is a Jayco Starcraft group of facebook a few there have the 19.61 maybe ask the question over there.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If Jayco state a tow ball weight you can be sure it will not be under and most certainly over.........in fact most of the info on the plate may be incorrect.

Reactions: bigcol and davemc

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I understood plated weights were without gas bottles and gas, without any water but with tanks factory fitted, without batteries (are they fitted at factory or dealer?) and obviously without toolboxes and the weight of the jockey wheel?

I guess it depends on how much is fitted after the van comes off the line.....and all that leads to inaccurate final weights in all areas.

Does anyone know of any changes to the way the weights are plated?

(Having been used to the huge variation in Jayco plated weights, I was really surprised that Golf managed to get it a bit closer. )

If we understand the way it's plated, and take into account dealer additions, our own add ons then we may get closer to real weights we're dealing with.

Reactions: CraigW and bigcol

Laneway

Jan 4, 2017
Leinster, WA
ubs_mtaq_show_photo.jpg

Heres a compliance plate off the new 19.61 - 3 (sourced from http://australiancaravans.com.au) The price on this one is $64,444.
We ordered one that's due in April with a fair few extras, and everything as far as Im aware is getting factory fitted, not dealer so "should" be included in the weight.
Jared01 by upgrading to the Toughframe pack...the fibreglass walls...Im assuming it will be an additional 100-200kgs on your tare weight compared to ally sides. Greaty van I think with plenty of potential and room for all the add-ons you want

Reactions: Johnno48

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well it's obvious the figures on this plate are a calculation based on some figure they found, an axle weight showing a figure of 2667kg is a dead giveaway.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Laneway

Jan 4, 2017
Leinster, WA
May have to give this model a miss for the Pajero then :-(

Maybe have a look at the 17.58-3 pop top. A touch smaller, less tare and tow ball weight. We were looking at this model until we saw the 19.61-3 at one of the shows........it was love at first sight for my old lady unfortunately and the bank account took a hit :nonchalance:

Reactions: Drover

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
Funny how they work out the GTM with the EMPTY Ball Weight, as we all know that the GTM would be wrong as when you are at ATM then the Ball weight would most likely be higher and that would mean you GTM should be actually lower ............................... or am I thinking this through incorrectly?

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
This layout does look great!
Went to jayco to check em out last week .
We are stupidly toying with the idea of changing over to one but have not had our new van a year yet and I'm pretty darn happy with ours. The separate shower toilet is the attractant for us and with standard length drawbar it's basically the same tow length as our 17 with extended drawbar.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Warning....this toying with an idea can be really expensive.

It's not only the initial cost of changeover but all the extra bits that need to be replaced ...custom made stuff like AFKs, annexe, even storage containers.

but a separate shower and toilet is very attractive,

Happy thought but try to keep the wallet closed....at least a little bit.

Reactions: JS4910 and Pauly

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
@Pauly we changed from a 17.58 to a 22.68 just over a year yes expensive :) You should hopefully get close to what you paid for the 17.58 as they go up again and people do not want to wait.
For us we needed the internal toilet/shower as had the -1

Yeah I followed that , you seem very happy with your van. We always liked the idea of a full ensuite but we don't want a van any longer than we have as it would restrict the places that we get to even the 300 mm difference is highly noticeable from our 17.55.5sh to the 17.58.3 with ext drawbar.
Thought long and hard about the 20.62.3 before buying ours , if it didn't have the combo ensuite it may have swayed our decision. Love our 17.58.3 especially with our Webber box (can't quite figure out how to do a slide for a Webber if we upgrade to the 19.61.3, might have to remove lid) but jeez am I over drying the ensuite out after a shower. Funny it didn't worry my one bit in the 17.55.5sh and the ensuite is the same but opposite side of van.

Warning....this toying with an idea can be really expensive.

It's not only the initial cost of changeover but all the extra bits that need to be replaced ...custom made stuff like AFKs, annexe, even storage containers.

but a separate shower and toilet is very attractive,

Happy thought but try to keep the wallet closed....at least a little bit.

It's only money hey! They're still printing it

gleeso

Dec 15, 2015
Wollongong
May have to give this model a miss for the Pajero then :-(
Hi mate my 19.61.3 touring with extended drawbar, underslung axles and 15 inch rims..
towing with an nx pajero, atm is 2500 and loaded my tow ball is 240.. right on the max

Last edited:

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
I got told the difference in the axle k6/k21 is brake size 10/12 inch.

Went to the Melb show today , ended up signing up on a
19.61-3 OB with,
~a 3rd water tank
~bike rack(4bike)
~picnic table
~fibreglass walls
~bed converter
~ceramic toilet
~22" TV
~2nd battery
~drifter control panel
~extra annexe light