17' Series 17 ft expanda travel length?

Heydon

Mar 2, 2018
Warrnambool
Hi! Finally joined up after lots of reading. We're looking at getting a 17.56 Outback with ensuite and bunks later this year. Storage is an issue and is down to actual cms lengthwise. Does anyone have or willing to check the length from the front of the coupling to the back of the body of the van? Let's assume the rear bumper has been removed... As silly as it sounds this will influence our purchase. We don't want to store offsite and if we can't fit the 17 we might be looking at the 16. Looking at 2010-2015 I'd say budget wise.
I'm in the country and the only caravan place nearby doesn't have a single expanda hence the strange request.
Excited about joining the club and appreciate any help!

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Welcome to the mob @Heydon , I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question ......................... so height isn't an issue at all ????

Old cat I have says 6964mm travel length but an actual tape measure job would be better, how much room do you have ?

Reactions: Heydon

Heydon

Mar 2, 2018
Warrnambool
Thanks mate. Height isn't a worry. We have a weird almost triangle shape against the boundary at the front of our property. No access to the back yard for anything over 2m unfortunately.
We have about 7m but our issue is that there needs to be enough of a gap between the back corner of the van and the front corner of the house for the metre reader to get through and I'm not sure at what point they say no way. Once they're through the gap they have all the space in the world.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks mate. Height isn't a worry. We have a weird almost triangle shape against the boundary at the front of our property. No access to the back yard for anything over 2m unfortunately.
We have about 7m but our issue is that there needs to be enough of a gap between the back corner of the van and the front corner of the house for the metre reader to get through and I'm not sure at what point they say no way. Once they're through the gap they have all the space in the world.
Welcome @Heydon to the forum. One of our esteemed members (just like you now) @Tone, comes from your part of the world and has a 17.56

If your meter reading is for water, here in Melb we can txt msg or email our meter readings ourselves. Maybe worth checking out down your way

Heydon

Mar 2, 2018
Warrnambool
Hey thanks Crusty. I did a quick check last night and there was noting on Origins website to indicate they're doing that yet. Would be a handy option.
Tone is a Warrnambool local? Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: Tone

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Soon they will still charge us for reading meter ourselves i hate them all i give them so much more power than i use and still get a bill but twice over summer it was 0
I have a 1756-2 but i have extended draw bar so im no good to you if you have 2 kids we use a spare bed as storage for most of our clothes works well its allways the top bunk when we travel bags go on the bottom bunk

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Hey thanks Crusty. I did a quick check last night and there was noting on Origins website to indicate they're doing that yet. Would be a handy option.
Tone is a Warrnambool local? Thanks for the tip!
You can come and measure mine anytime. I have a height issue for my shed length isn’t. Mine is stored at my dads place at Bushfield.

Heydon

Mar 2, 2018
Warrnambool
You can come and measure mine anytime. I have a height issue for my shed length isn’t. Mine is stored at my dads place at Bushfield.

Mate that would be superb. It's getting actual lengths and widths so I can chalk spray an outline. I know, maybe overkill. I'm visual!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We moved our front fence 2 meters or so forward so we could gates on, so now the Gas meter is behind very large gates that only open from inside.
If they cannot get in you will end up getting estimate readings and then emails advising they need access NOW :)
Gas meter readers are seperate to Origin they are from the wholesaler. So depends who you get.

You ring the overseas Origin call centre and say we have large gates and a dog can they knock when they go past we can let them in.
You get the "Yes we updated our system to say to knock at door.. they will come anytime over 6 days :) "
or "Can you just leave your gates open for 6 days and keep your dog inside :( "
They ever so helpful not

Coming up to 4 years now since the van. No ones knocks.. We used to take a pic of meter put it on gate and front door.. Worked for 6 months then they would not use it need to sight read it we where told.
Last reading I just set up a camera system it pinged someone on front yard. I see the gas man looking for the meter then walks off.
I chase after him get him back to do a reading. Said why did you not knock confused face all I get.
Guess what estimated again :) at 1021 mj for 2 months over summer.. I lost it with them..
They due again any day now :)

You need a reading once a year costs us $25 or something to setup a time.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Only have to pay them $25 to read their meter, so they can bill you. Sounds incredibly cheap, lucky your getting a supply charge because that would just be an unsult !!!
Yes and when I got the last guy to read the meter after chasing him down the street I still got *(*()(* estimated.

Put cameras up now, got a video door bell.. Got sick of the startrak unexpress people just dropping cards when you sat home waiting on something.
So catch those guys as well.. Sarah thinks I am mad she should know better I am Mad ha ha ha ha
Interesting only had one card left and that was while I was at work he rang the doorbell I could not answer.
They know now they are being watched..
Local post office said the guy just writes cards drops them off and they get all the packages they encouraged us to get pics as they over it.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
You can see now what can happen
You ask a simple question and we seem to find something else to talk about while your question is simply answered somewhere as @Tone said mite be simple question for them to answer well mite be you never know i asked them to email me some things about my van gee i dont know he said its saturday pick up and drop off only but carnt you send it will take 5 mins mmmm not today... we are busy mondays so mite get around to it during the week thanks for that sorry to bother you

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Should add we had a few break ins around our area neighbour 2 doors up. I do live in Victoria where everyone gets off ;)
Kick a copper in the head if your mum says your a good boy even though your on bail let him off ;)

Been meaning to get cameras for a while more a deterrent as they see them go to another house.
Being a geek I got 4K ones so I get great shots of cats walking around setting them off ;)

Reactions: Drover and Bluey

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Did you see that woman who ran over a boy on skate board killed him and got community service busted unlicensed many times
Dont start us @davemc i did wake up in a good mood but its back to normal now
This is why i love vaning so much as the world around me is so full of stuff you just wonder why

Reactions: davemc and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thank goodness I live in the country, all electric only pay one surcharge for the priviledge of power........................meter bloke knows he better read it, noexcuse and the mailman and courier have had directions given, even the junk mail fella (looks the same as postie) drops the stuff on the front porch if it looking wet..................I don't like my Auto Barn, Aldi, Mitre 10 and Thirsty Camel catalogues wet.

Now back to topic you wandering city slickers................................... do not be concerned @Hayden this wandering banter keeps the thread on top till someone else comes along with the info otherwise it might subside to the bottom...................

Last edited: