17.56-2 Weigh bridge findings

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Well, I had the day off yesterday so I thought I'd take the van down to the weigh bridge to see how my weight was going.
I had both water tanks full, gas bottles full, all the stuff inside (this includes chairs, annexe and battery) except for cloths and food and it went like this.............GTM was 2080kg.........................Ball was 260kg.......................Giving an overall ATM of 2340kg
ATM on the plate is 2364kg so I only have 24kg for cloths and food.

Given the above and the fact that the ball weight is a bit heavy, I might generaly tow with the front water tank empty as this will give me about 100kg up my sleave.

I must admit that I was a little surprised :confused:as I haven't added any heavy mods like bike racks or bumper bars and I'll try and store the annexe and associated stuff in the back boot to get the ball weight back around the 10%

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
HeyTurtle

There was a computer printed out slip of paper in the paper work of our second hand 17.56.1 OB which states

axle weight = 1792
tow ball weight = 219
total weight = 2011kg

I assume the dealer did this on delivery to the new owner (van is less than 12 months old) so you would think was all empty

I'm also thinking of throwing a lot of gear in the back considering the amount of stuff I have crammed in the front boot !!

Cheers

Paul

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Turle,

How did you go about weighing the van on the weighbridge?

Did you weight with the van still connected to the car with only the van's tyres on the WB? This will give you GTM. Or did you weigh the van disconnected from the vehicle with the jockey wheel down on the WB. If the latter, then you are double counting the ball weight in your ATM calculation.

Hope this makes sense.

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Turle,

How did you go about weighing the van on the weighbridge?

Did you weight with the van still connected to the car with only the van's tyres on the WB? This will give you GTM. Or did you weigh the van disconnected from the vehicle with the jockey wheel down on the WB. If the latter, then you are double counting the ball weight in your ATM calculation.

Hope this makes sense.
Van connected to Prado for GTM and then lifted the van off the car with the jockey wheel resulting in ATM and then the difference between the ATM and GTM is my ball weight.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Van connected to Prado for GTM and then lifted the van off the car with the jockey wheel resulting in ATM and then the difference between the ATM and GTM is my ball weight.

Hi turtle,
I am new to this, and with a Prado as well getting to it's limit, I have read stacks of threads about this, but still learning. So following yours and ronem's thread with interest.
If I understand correctly, when you decoupled the vehicle you weighed the van on it's own and you got an ATM of 2340kg.
If I understand correctly you are correct in saying you have 24kg left. You can't exceed the vans plated ATM.
I would pull all the gear out drain tanks and weigh again to confirm TARE. Then check the weight of everything you are putting in, looks like you need to leave something behind, or starve...:smile::pop2:

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Hi turtle,
I am new to this, and with a Prado as well getting to it's limit, I have read stacks of threads about this, but still learning. So following yours and ronem's thread with interest.
If I understand correctly, when you decoupled the vehicle you weighed the van on it's own and you got an ATM of 2340kg.
If I understand correctly you are correct in saying you have 24kg left. You can't exceed the vans plated ATM.
I would pull all the gear out drain tanks and weigh again to confirm TARE. Then check the weight of everything you are putting in, looks like you need to leave something behind, or starve...:smile::pop2:
Prado is okay, weight with me, full tanks and the fridge in it 2320kg + ball weight 260 = 2580. Max is 2990kg for the 2007 diesel so 410kg sill to go.
Plenty for the rest of the family and a bit of gear and if I can reduce the ball by 30kg I can even fill the fridge with some cold ones!!!

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi turtle,
Sorry mate, my poor wording, what I meant was the weight of our van is close to Tow limit for our Prado. So we will be keeping a very close eye on what we load the van with. Our ATM is going to be close if not slightly over 2500kg, will wait and see when it arrives. Hopefully Toyota upgrades prado's to 3t in the future, love my Prado.
Jas

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Jas, our 18-57-6OB weighs as follows, this is with 184l fridge.

ATM 2521
Tare 2046
GVM 2365

Cheers.

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
The 3 door version of the Prado is 3T. Don't see them ever increasing the 5 door version to 3T though as that would stop people buying the Landcruiser.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
That's good to know burnsy, we have the STD fridge so looks like we will be on the money. Other Prado owners seem to be saying they handle the limit pretty well, and don't feel as though they are over extending at 2500kg.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
The 3 door version of the Prado is 3T. Don't see them ever increasing the 5 door version to 3T though as that would stop people buying the Landcruiser.

Hi gspy4u,
Yeh I suppose you are right, but I reckon the $20k step up to a cruiser will force plenty of people to move to other makes, it's certainly in the back of our mind. So I reckon it's costing Toyota sales.

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
My mate has a current model Prado and he reckons it's rated at 3000kg towing capacity.
I just can't bring myself to go from an 8 to a 7 seater

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Hi turtle,
Gspy4u is right, only 3 door is 3t, 5 door models definitely 2.5t. Don't understand why!

Jas
It'll be something stupid! I questioned Toyota about the current model Hilux being 2500 when mine is 2250 ( same shape), thought I might be able to get it rebadged.
Apparently they've moved the axel back 50mm and this makes all the difference.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
nah I reckon it makes no difference at all other than meaning you can't rebadge it.....
You could always try a engineer and see what they think if you really want to