17' Series 17-56.2 Outback - Hyland Coupling

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
G'day Guys,

With a new 17-56.2 Outback on order, I'm considering adding the Hyland Coupling to the list of options (if the budget stretches) I would love any advice or experience out there as to what works well.

A couple of quick questions:
-Does the Hyland coupling still work effectively with the HR Weight Distribution Hitches?
-At what point / angle do you remove the WDH bars for steeper angles?
-Is there any difference in the ride for Hyland vs Standard Coupling?
-Have you fitted them via Jayco or after delivery? (cost for Jayco vs Aftermarket??)
-Is the hook up time much different from the standard couling?

With a couple of Months until delivery, time seems to be going so slow.
Thanks in advance,
Cheers, Glenn

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hey Glenn,

I have a Hyland Hitch on our 14.44-4OB. Its dead easy to use, and i have tried them all (Standard, Tregg and OzHitch). The Ozhitch was great but got way too greasy on the outside so i decided to try the Hyland this time.

Only had the van a few months but so far so good. No slower than a standard hitch to me.

Can't help with the WDH as i don't run one. We had ours fitted by our dealer ready for pickup. You may also want to consider a 50mm spacer to go under the hitch as well. We need one on our van to keep it level with the Patrol.

hyland.JPG

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
I can't see why this hitch wouldn't fit my hay man Reece weight distribution hitch.
As for other brands I'm not sure.
I only remove WDH bars if I'm going slow down unmade roads.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I honestly can't remember. But i do remember that if you order it factory fitted, you don't pay or labour, just parts (its a 10min job anyway). At the time i looked around to see if it would be cheaper for me to put one on aftermarket, but the best price i got was from Jayco, so added it to my order, that way it is all part of the van at delivery (and covered by the van warranty).

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
Thanks for the replies... I've still got a couple of months until delivery, so a few more weeks to make up my mind.. (and probably add more from the wish list) I can't remember how much I was quoted... Oh well, another phone call :) Does anyone know if the holes for Hyland Coupling are the same as the standard coupling? I guess that is another consideration for factory vs aftermarket.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Hi Glen I too will be looking at the options for hitches, I was considering the terg style hitch, but have found this hitch , which I think they should be able to install, being that it is AL-KO, and most of the fittings Jayco use are from AL-KO. My calculations is that it is about the same price as the other upgrade options. I was quoted $331, for the treg style hitch, fitted at the factory.

Hope this doesn't confuse things too much

Cheers Mick