17' Series 17.56.1 ob 2012

linrod

Jan 3, 2012
Inverloch, Victoria
Hi all,

We purchased our first expanda 16.49.1 OB in 2008 and completely fell in love with the camping world. The 16.49.1 was absolutely perfect for us as we had 2 girls ages 5 & 4.
We have since expanded ourselves and now have 4 children 9, 7, 3 & 6 months so the old 16.49.1 just didn't fit us in anymore.

I did a bit a cyber searching and settled on the new 17.56.1 OB as I love the idea of the bunks turning into a table for when we are stuck in the van when the weather is bad etc.

We purchased our first van through Page Bros in Seaford and couldn't complain at all about the service so we have returned to buy the new one from them again.
We agreed on a change over price and ordered own new (large family) expanda.

After a little thought I was no longer happy with trade in price so I listed the van on caravancampingsales.com.au and sold it within 4 days for a massive $4000.00 above what they offered. I was also astouned at the at the retail value. Our 16.49.1 OB 2008 was purchased new for $32400 and I got $28500 for it 4 years later.

Anyway just waiting now for the 17.56.1 OB to be ready (early March) then we are hopefully off to Walkerville for Easter.

I have added many extra's to the new van including 150litre fridge, dual gas bottles, tv antenna, extra tv & power points, external tv point, oven (unfortunately sacraficing the microwave ) innerspring mattress as well as the awning walls. I have to head down and do the conformation next week and are seriously thinking of changing the air con to roof mounted then putting the microwave back in where the wall air con went. Only problem being that I only have a clearance of 2.6m to store the van and am thinkink that the roof mounted air con will be taller than this.

Anyway all feedback is welcome and any suggestions on things that people can think of for me to add before its to late would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy camping
Cheers Linda

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Linda,
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new purchase.
As for other options to consider, this will depend on the budget...but to start with:
- drop down jacks instead of standard corner jacks
- gas bayonet fitting under the van for connecting a bbq (the weber's are a popular choice)
- privacy screens for your bed ends (you can see out, ppl cannot see in, and helps somewhat with the rain)
- if you can confirm the van will fit under you parking spot at home with the roof mounted aircon, id add this and get the microwave added too

Im sure there are other things to consider but i will let someone else have a go....LOL

Enjoy reading all the great info here until you take ownership of the new van...

Dave

PS. We originally ordered the innerspring mattress but ended up cancelling it and just went with the foam ones as some people dont like the fold of the innerspring when laying on it, and weve been happy with the foam....but run a search on the forum and you can read about it for yourself and make your own decision!

Reactions: linrod

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum, Linda. I can't help you with most of your decisions, (no kids, and small van) but I am sure you will get some help from other members. You will find the OB has drop down jacks as standard but they are also quite tall. 2405mm high for the 17.56.1 by the spec sheet. Do you know how much the rooftop A/C adds to the height.

Reactions: linrod

linrod

Jan 3, 2012
Inverloch, Victoria
Hi Dave,
thanks for your reply. I have already the privacy screens, (I just think of them as a standard cause its the first thing you add) and the drop down jacks are sandard on the outback. The gas bayonet is a fantastic idea and I will be putting that on the list. Can you tell me where the best spot to add it would be, we first thought of adding the built in BBQ but decided against it as we always set up the annex and it would be inside. Thanks

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi Linda,
Welcome to the forum. I have gone with the air con in the roof mainly due to noise. My parents had one of the wall mounted air cons and it was loud compared to roof mount. Additionally, we have 4 kids ranging from 15 months to 13 years of age. With that many people it is amazing how many nooks and crannies get stuffed with something temporary whilst moving around the van camping. It is nice that the aircon is mounted out of the way.
Finally, the roof mount pushes the air out in both directions of the length of the van. I can feel the air being pushed out to the extremities of the van.
Something else we also had made up about a year after purchasing was clear plastic surrounds for the bed ends. We purchased mainly for the weather but in winter the heating works soooo much better and in summer the cooling is more efficient also. I had these made in a fashion that allowed them to fold up the same way as the privacy covers, but it did mean upgrading the gas struts also to cope with the extra weight.
If you can get that microwave in somehow, then I would suggest it. The amount of baby formulas and milk bottles heated at 3 in the morning has been ridiculous. It has made life of a young family camping heaps easier.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hi Linda,

Sounds like a great upgrade, well done on selling your van too!

One option we love on our van is the HWS and external shower as we don't have an shower/toilet model.

Good luck with the final decisions.

linrod

Jan 3, 2012
Inverloch, Victoria
hey there Cruza driver, wow it's a small world isn't it. I hope that they are happy with the purchase. The guy that bought our van was Jeff and he was a plumber with a wife and 2 boys. It would be great to get him on this site, I would love to hear feedback about the van and see if he has been away in it yet.
Cheers Linda