16' Series 16' Expanda water problem

William Jackson

Sep 6, 2015
Brisbane
Morning all

The wife and I are currently on the back end of an around Australia trip in our 2007 16.49 expanda.

We have been having trouble along the way with water ingress getting into the front bed base. It's now virtually rotted out.

Has anyone had this before? Any ideas on how to fix/replace? I dont know how the bases are constructed.

Appreciate any advice.
Thanks
William

Attachments

• 1447108488023.jpg
    1447108488023.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 418

William Jackson

Sep 6, 2015
Brisbane
Rang them this morning, not to interested, take it to xyz business in Brisbane (near where I live actually) they may be able to fo the repairs.

"We dont do any repairs any more"

Corey Brown

Oct 12, 2015
South australia
20151114_155648-1.jpg
Gday william i have a 2006 and i have just fixed that same problem my leak was coming in through where the outside aluminium frame on the bed end mets the fiberglass all the sealant had split leaving a gap for water to run straight in especially bad on front bed because of slope on front of van.
Fixed water damage to bed base letting completely dry out then give a good sand. Then apply a good stain remover sealer to base gave it 4 coats then paint over top. I wasn't sure if i was going to b able to save it but it came up good

William Jackson

Sep 6, 2015
Brisbane
View attachment 37050 Gday william i have a 2006 and i have just fixed that same problem my leak was coming in through where the outside aluminium frame on the bed end mets the fiberglass all the sealant had split leaving a gap for water to run straight in especially bad on front bed because of slope on front of van.
Fixed water damage to bed base letting completely dry out then give a good sand. Then apply a good stain remover sealer to base gave it 4 coats then paint over top. I wasn't sure if i was going to b able to save it but it came up good

Yes, I have no doubt this is where the water came in. It is my intention to do some bogging up and painting etc, just hope the timber (ply) can be saved. Big job if it cant.

TomKat121111

Nov 30, 2022
Dunedin, NZ
I think I've had the same problem. Just replaced the sealant on the weekend and hope it dries out soon. I've got some water-based paint to put over the inside. The ply was feeling slightly soft, I hope it dries out firm