16' Series 16.49 Spare wheel carrier

Still Workin

Dec 10, 2017
Little River
Hi All
New to the site, currently have a 16.49-1 that has had the spare wheel carrier modified and I want to return it to standard. Would anyone on here be able to put up a picture of the standard 16.49 spare wheel carrier including the pin or bolt that is used to secure the spare wheel.
Cheers

Still Workin

Dec 10, 2017
Little River
isn't standard mounted under A frame. That's the normal place for mine 16.49-3
Yeah mate in the A frame is standard which is where I want to put mine back. The previous owner made his own bracket to mount the wheel up right and it's a bit dodgy. The base for the Tyre is still there but I just need a picture of how the wheel is held in place either with one through bolt or a plate that clamps it. Not sure how the spare is secured in the factory holder.

NJ&KLR

Jan 30, 2017
Brisbane
Hi still workin - this also is a first post for me
See attached pictures of the spare tyre carrier on my 2008 16.49-3 OB, this is a factory fit up with a curved plate on top with a single bolt through it, I plan to move this to the rear as this does hit the ground as I move off my concrete pad over the foot path (see scratch marks on foot path in 1st pic) onto the road.
I plan to mount it on the rear bumper bar as shown on another post on this web site.

20180126_084805.jpg
20180126_084814.jpg
20180126_084820.jpg

Reactions: Vere

turbopsi

Mar 22, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hi NJ&KLR,

Just a question about your hitch position. I thought all outback models had the hitch plate welded at the bottom of the drawbar as the vs the touring models which are mounted ontop as per your photos. Cheers.

NJ&KLR

Jan 30, 2017
Brisbane
Hi NJ&KLR,

Just a question about your hitch position. I thought all outback models had the hitch plate welded at the bottom of the drawbar as the vs the touring models which are mounted ontop as per your photos. Cheers.
-----------------------------------
Hi
You are correct the tow hitch plate is normally on the bottom, I had a second plate welded on top (see couple of pics attached) so as to allow me to get my van more level with the tow hitch on my MUX, this has worked well and every thing does sit nice and level now.
I have seen plenty of comments about tow hitch on the "Outback" vans but at the end of the day Jayco figured that they would sell more vans to Commodore and Falcon drivers than people driving 4WD's hence the reason for a low tow hitch position.

I had this job carried out by a registered caravan repair agent in Brisbane, we left the original plate there ( I did cut off the flange on the angle iron that is welded under to the bottom tow hitch plate to give me more ground clearance) to add a bit of extra support, I also had to do nothing in modifying the hand brake just re bolted to the hitch with no dramas.
The next job is to remove the underslung tyre rack under the draw bar and move the tyre to rear and probably mount under rear using a 4wd spare tyre chain winch, this will give me further clearance under the draw bar - maybe then it might start to be an "Outback" with proper ground clearance!!!

Hope this is of help.

Attachments

• 20180205_145151_resized.jpg
    20180205_145151_resized.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 378
  • 20180205_145206_resized.jpg
    20180205_145206_resized.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 349

turbopsi

Mar 22, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
@NJ&KLR Ah that explains it. After looking at a few second hard Outbacks that were a bit worn out we pulled the trigger on a touring which was as good as new for a 2010/2011 model. I do however want to raise it a little and therefore have focused onto the hitch height requirements. I understand the way around the 460mm ball height limit is to swap the hitch for a non ball type, eg treg etc.. Just need to work out which way to go in raising the van, underslung or other.

Cheers.

NJ&KLR

Jan 30, 2017
Brisbane
Hi turbopsi
with my van sitting level on concrete slab the top hitch plate measures 435mm from concrete to top of plate if you then add 25mm to centre of ball on hitch you get 460mm.
my MUX has heavy WDH and it measures 465mm from slab to centre of ball, when hitched up there is some depression due to the ball weight but the WDH lifts it back slightly to give some angle downwards on the ball, it tows very well.
this is pushing the upper limit tow hitch height regulation but it gets there by mm's

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Reactions: Drover and turbopsi

turbopsi

Mar 22, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks @NJ&KLR

I'll have to measure mine properly once I get it on flat ground. I read the standard and there's a there's an interesting point which I believe might allow me to keep the ball hitch and go higher then 460mm to get the van level if I undersling as long as there's provisions on the tow hitch to go back within range. Refer to txt in Bold

"
Extract from VSB1
16.4.1: 50mm Ball Couplings

Ball couplings on towbars are required to be installed so that the height of the centre of the body of the ball coupling is between 350mm and 420mm from the ground when laden (Refer to ADR 62/01). Alternatively, if complying with the requirements of ADR 62/02 the maximum height of the centre of the body of the ball coupling may be increased to 460mm. However, the ball may be installed at any other height, provided it is also capable of being adjusted to at least one height within the 350-460mm range."

Reactions: Drover