16.49-3 or 17.56-2 OB

familyof4

Jun 3, 2011
I am new to the expandasdownnder website but have been reading with interest this evening of you posts and helpful suggestions on the forum. I am sure my topic has come up many times before and i apologise in advance if this has been covered. I have a 2007 120 series Prado diesel automatic GXL. Currently I have a Jayco Eagle that i have extensively modified for comfort and remote camping. With the family now growing (2 girls 4yrs and 16 months) i would like to upgrade. I would like to do a tour of Australia in the future but also like to get away for weekends regulary. My questions are -

16.49-3 OB or 17.56-2 OB?
Is the 17.56-2 OB too big for the Prado for a comfortable tow around australia?
Should i get the Outback model?
Is the 16.49-3 too small to live in for months to a year with 2 adults and 2 kids?
Which is easier to tow? Some say the larger twin axle? some say the smaller lighter?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help. Have a great weekend.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Welcome to the forum, and as you mentioned there is plenty of helpful information to read through. We too changed from a camper trailer to an Expanda. We have a 16.49-3 OB which we have had since Dec 2010.

I cant comment on the 17 footer but there is a few members on here who have them and who have ordered them also. For us personally we went the 16 footer for its overall weight and the fact it also fits inside the enclosed shed when not in use.

Pro's for us
: Enough storage (compared to the Hawk)
: Towing weight and size (use less fuel?)
: Its so quick and easy to set up :) not really a postive over the 17 footer but they are quick LOL

Is it to small to live in when travelling around OZ? for us it wouldn't be but thats for our situation. An Outback does offer better ground clearance, offoad electric brakes, a bigger chassis and different suspension, personally I would lean towards Outback if travelling Oz is on your agenda. They are a bit more versitile.

We didnt look at the 17 footer as the 16 footer ticked all our requirements, but who knows what will happen when its time to upgrade. :cool:

Good luck with your decision.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome to the forum!

We also have two girls 4 and 2 and are about to take delivery in the next few weeks a 14.44-4 outback. May be worth considering if you are used to towing a Jayco Camper.

While we would have loved the 16 and 17 foot models, we just couldn't fit it in our driveway. Plus we wanted something similar in size to our old Hawk, just heaps more storage;)

A mate of mine from work did the lap around Oz with 4 girls under 12 and his wife in the 16 foot bunk model expanda. They loved that model, plenty of room, light enough to tow, great storage. I have also crawled through Bushmans 16 footer and can't believe how big it feels inside. Heaps of space.

The 17 footers look fantastic also, don't know anyone with one though.

What fun, i love researching/reading up about different campers and 4wds, enjoy!:cool:

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Cruza / Moto check out your post counts both at 118 :) what a crack up are you two in a race or something? Hawks to outbacks and same post count's :)

I am new to the expandasdownnder website but have been reading with interest this evening of you posts and helpful suggestions on the forum. I am sure my topic has come up many times before and i apologise in advance if this has been covered. I have a 2007 120 series Prado diesel automatic GXL. Currently I have a Jayco Eagle that i have extensively modified for comfort and remote camping. With the family now growing (2 girls 4yrs and 16 months) i would like to upgrade. I would like to do a tour of Australia in the future but also like to get away for weekends regulary. My questions are -

16.49-3 OB or 17.56-2 OB?
Is the 17.56-2 OB too big for the Prado for a comfortable tow around australia?
Should i get the Outback model?
Is the 16.49-3 too small to live in for months to a year with 2 adults and 2 kids?
Which is easier to tow? Some say the larger twin axle? some say the smaller lighter?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help. Have a great weekend.

Back on topic, we have the 17 and upgraded from a 16.49.2 to the 17 we where considering the same going to the 16.49.3 but overall the 17 offered more room for us. Only slightly more room but enough to notice.

The problem we had with the 16.49.3 was a couple of things, firstly climbing over the lounge to get into bed was annoying and the table was flimsy and a bit squashy. With the 17 we have two tables one at the front and one at the back. The one at the back keeps the kids busy and the one at the front is independent of the bed so you don't need to climb over it to get into to bed.

Its a small thing but spending long periods of time living in the van its the little things that count. We spend about 5 weeks or so in our van and after doing it in the 16.49.2 it became annoying. This year in the 17 the kids had there own area and we had ours when indoors and it just made it that little bit better. We sat in a 16.49.3 and it seemed great but the extra room of the 17 just made life that little bit better.

Its really a preference thing as well best bet is to go and sit in each one for an hour, take a book and see how you feel! Its a big decision and the only way you will know is by trying it :)!

In terms of the prado it should be fine, we towed our 17" with a Pajero diesel 2001 model and it was perfectly fine no issues at all.

Let us know how you get on!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Cruza / Moto check out your post counts both at 118 :) what a crack up are you two in a race or something? Hawks to outbacks and same post count's :)

Too funny expanda!

The difference is though, Cruza has an Expanda and therefore has something constructive to offer this forum. Me however, i have no Expanda yet, and nothing really to offer. But I do find this forum a great way to gather information and pass the time, waiting for the new van to come;)

I also have a habit of hijacking posts and going off on a tangent, like turning your birthday post into a tow car comparo.

And i've done it again. Sorry another hijack - i have to stop doing that:rolleyes:

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
But I do find this forum a great way to gather information and pass the time, waiting for the new van to come;)

This is the only thing stopping me going insane over the wait!!!

Sorry.. Off Topic:
We went for the 17.56-2 because most of our camping is spare of the moment weekends sort of thing and..... I am sick of spending the little time i have setting everything up! We go free/bush camping all the time so we have to set up toilet/shower for the kids + wife.... sort of takes the fun/drinking out of the weekend! (have more issues when drinking trying to set up camp!)

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
If you go the 16.49-3 you can choose the 16.49-3B which is the cafe dinnette model that Bushman and myself have as with this layout you dont need to climb over the couch to get into the front bed.

As Expanda replied go and sit in one for a while this may help your decision :cool:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Funny when I read this how people are different. Reminds me of sitting in the van for a while at the recent sydney show. 50% of the people walked up stuck there head in and said "shower toliet, dont want that"!

We have the 16:49-3 with the big lounge that you have to climb over to get to bed, love the layout. For us this floor plan offers the most "lounging" and " openess" and you can seat 5 or 6 around the table really well. We sleep 5 in it and have spent time in Snowy, Bathurst and Blaney in real cold conditions, all the living was inside.

As expanda suggested, go sit in all for ages, that's what we did and you will soon find what suits best for you.

Wado

May 7, 2011
New England
It all comes down to horses for courses. My preference was for the 16 footer OB with shower, however Mother preferred the 17.62.2 OB. The drawcard for her was the second table set up, somewhere for the little one to colour in and call her own space etc, AND somewhere to set up an office when we hit the road after our current business venture. Storage of the longer van is not an issue for now but down the track maybe, but that's a bridge crossed then. Like many, we are time poor and we are at the stage where setting up/packing down of the Swan OB eats too much into a 1 or 2 night camp. The indoor shower/toilet is only for the rare caravan park visit or bad weather.

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Hi family of 4,
We're a family of 6 and have a 17.56-2OB and love it!!!
We tow ours with a 2007 Prado TD manual and it is great. The only criticism would be that 1st gear is too high. This hasn't been a problem untill last weekend when a semi we were behind lost traction coming out of Sofala on the Mudgee side and needed to re-think his approach. We had to stop and wait for him to get going again and if you know the hill this was a challenge in its self. To overcome our problem I had to follow him up in low range once he got going.
I've added a Reese WDS and it has turned a good combination in to a great combination.
All said and done the 17.56-2OB and 2007 Prado TD are the right combination for us.
Good luck!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0339a.jpg
    IMG_0339a.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 502

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Hey Guys,

I am also considering the options between these 2 - the 16.49.2 and the 17.56.1. We have 4 kids ranging from 2 - 9.
So some questions foe each of you.

Is there enough room in the 16, for 4 people and their associated luggage?

What is the difference in towing them?

Am not drawn to the shower/toilet option currently. Quite happy to squat and have a outdoor shower when needed. But I am after people's thoughts on why you went with one? Was it just because you could not get the 17.56.1 at the time or other reasons?

Any other thoughts/comments greatly appreciated. Loved reading all sorts of things on this forum and it has already helped a great deal in the decision making process.

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Hi richard

we are awaiting the 17-56.2 previously we had a swan and would always stay in parks with an ensuite. its me that wanted the toilet/shower option as with kids i don't want to be doing the nightly shower trip to toilet blocks and because they are young its just far easier showering and having everything at my finger tips. of course there are a few more reasons too but thats the main one that i could justify losing the cupboard space for.

i just noted the ages of your children...i missed this before. i would consider shower/toilet a necessity for 4 kids. my husband would be happy to do what you mentioned but i'm the wife and happy wife equals happy life.