14 -44-3

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I finally picked up our new Expanda 14-44-3 a week or so back from Newcastle Jayco. They were very helpful but, unfortunately, the Air Conditioner failed and could not be repaired that day. As I had to be home the next day I could not wait for it to be repaired and I did not want to travel home and back to Newcastle at another time so I took it home after they had arranged for me to get it repaired on the Gold Coast (it goes in next Monday).

It poured all the way home which made for an interesting trip as I found the van heavier than anticipated. However, the Navara handled it well and I was happy with the way it towed. My only gripe with the tow was the Hayman reese towing hitch. The dealer set it up for me but told me I needed a longer hitch which would drop my towball a bit more as the van was not level. It was up at the front and down at the rear with the ball on the lowest setting. But if I get a longer hitch it will only have about 200mm ground clearance which is pointless with a 4WD. I wonder why Jayco weld the plate for the tow connection under the A-frame. If it was on top, then my towball could be raised up on the hitch and the van could be easily levelled.

I also discovered something about the fridge which was either incorrectly explained or misunderstood by me. I turned the fridge off at the thermostat while I stopped overnight and left the van connected to the car. Of course, the next morning the car battery was dead flat so, NRMA to the rescue. On reading the manual at home it states that the only way 12V can be turned off is to switch the selector knob from the 12V position. When all else fails, read the manual.

I had trouble getting the 12V lighting to work just off the van battery until I found the battery switch had been fitted upside down. When I thought it was on it would not work but when I accidently switched it off with one of the lights on I twigged to the problem.

A couple of other minor problems but we are generally very happy with the van and are just waiting for our first chance to take it away.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
WOW Sounds like you had an interesting time!

Did the aircon fail completely or what happened?

With the tow ball height I had the same deal with my pathfinder and you are right it scrapped like buggery. Now I have the pajero I refused to let them put it on and put the original one on. Jayco can put some packing in the towball receiver to raise the height of it. I asked about it and they where hesitant but said they could do it.

With your fridge, you will need a relay put in the hotwire on your trailer plug that switches of power to the trailer plug when you switch the ingnition off. I am doing a write up on it for a 12 pin plug but if you have a 7 pin the same theory applies just a different wire. Still a work in progress but getting there!

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/sh...ridge-Hotwire-12-Volt-Hotwire-DIY?p=60#post60

When you get a chance post up some picks!

Glad to hear you got home safely and all is somewhat well with the van :)

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks Expanda. Yes, it was an eventful trip. The van goes in tomorrow to have the air con fixed. Apparently the fan is stuffed but parts are being sent from Melbourne (I hope).

I plan to put a couple of packing pieces under the receiver to raise it myself, cut to shape and galvanised. I have just submitted my survey to Jayco and listed my gripes but I don't suppose it will mean much.

The fridge problem was my own lack of knowledge of the switches on the fridge and should not be a problem again. I already have a couple of relays fitted for my spotties and my dual battery isolator so I guess I can fit another.

I have attached a few pix of the new toy.

Regards

Paul

Attachments

• Expanda looking forward.jpg
    Expanda looking forward.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 416
  • Expanda all open.jpg
    Expanda all open.jpg
    690 KB · Views: 425
  • Expanda interior panorama.jpg
    Expanda interior panorama.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 384
  • Expanda bed curtains.jpg
    Expanda bed curtains.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 384
  • Expanda draw bar.jpg
    Expanda draw bar.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 449
  • Expanda Boot 2.jpg
    Expanda Boot 2.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 372
  • Expanda bed privacy screen.jpg
    Expanda bed privacy screen.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 414
  • Expanda Shower.jpg
    Expanda Shower.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 393

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Just to Sydney in January, Cruza. We are off next Thursday, heading for Townsville fo a couple of weeks so I hope to have some real time photos then.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I noticed your back Chartrock dont forget to give as report on your trip :cool:

As soon as I can get my act together, had to wash the van and put it away in the shed today as well as have visits from the grandchildren. Plus it has taken me quite a while to catch up on forums and emails etc. Tomorrow will be either cut the grass, wash the car, or go shopping if I want to eat.

Damn, retirement is hell. :)

Paul

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
HAHA post them up here mate ;) I like checking out other parts of Australia as it makes me add it to the must see list :D

It also helps in the planning of future trips :cool:

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
You're a hard task master, Cruza but I am attempting to set up a blog. I have no idea how, but I will try.

Paul :o

Hey mate, seen you are back was nearly going to send out a search party looking for you! Hope the trip was good :)!

Now blogs, for everyone we have a blog system right here on the site which you can use to your hearts content and also a photo album system.

1) Blogs as follows...

a) Go to this page

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/blog_usercp.php?do=editcat

b) Click "Add New Blog Category"

c) Give it a name for what you want to call your blog could be like "Holiday Easter 2011" etc

d) Give it a description and leave the other fields as they are

e) You know have a blog congrats :D.

f) To fill it in just click on the category you created a second ago

g) Now click "Create New Post" and add a new post to your blog, you can add pics etc this way to

2) Photos, just go to this page and you can create as many photo albums as you like

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/album.php

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks for that, Expanda. I started a blog with just a paragragh and hit the save as a draft only to find it posted the little paragraph which meant nothing on its own. So then I had to try and delete it which I think I managed but it appears to have left something there. It seems I will have to sit and type the whole thing in at one sitting.

I'll have another go when I can. At the moment am trying to set up a new TV as our last one would not turn on when we arrived home from our last trip. I paid $40 for a quote, only to be told the power supply is dead and parts for that TV are no longer available, (it was a Schaub Lorenz LCD). That's life. :(

Paul

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hey mate bummer about the TV, they have turned into a throw away item these days which is a real pita :(

In terms of the blog you can save a draft, it is visible to you but it is not visible to anyone else.

When you save a draft blog the title of that post will a little mechanic symbol next to it and if you move the mouse cursor over it it will say "Draft Blog Entry".

Let me know if this is not happening and I will have a look in the back end to make sure everything is setup right!

Hope everything gets sorted out with the TV

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Yeah, Mate it's all good now. ;) Quite a few hundred bucks lighter but have a new LG 32" with a 3 year warranty. The old TV did not have HDMI connections bit the LG does so I had to buy a couple of new ones and redo all my connections. Should be able to get on with a few other things now. :cool:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
There sure is a lot of exposed fibreglass on the front of the Expanda, so it shows that the stone deflector is a worthy mod.

As you said the dirt roads will be the true test :cool: