Electrical 12v power to fridge.

PhilW

Jul 12, 2015
Sydney. Northern Beaches.
I am in the process of wiring up my fridge via an anderson plug.
My question is....what do you do with the existing 12v wires powering the fridge?
Do they stay connected or do you disconnect them. I figured those wires come from the ctek and wondered whether they serve any other purpose i.e. providing power for gas pilot light ignition?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
From memory there should be a dedicated feed for the pilot light?
Disconnect the fridge wire and try starting the fridge on gas... should answer the question!

Reactions: PhilW

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
From memory there should be a dedicated feed for the pilot light?
Disconnect the fridge wire and try starting the fridge on gas... should answer the question!

I think you could be right as I have a fridge switch fitted and as you know when you don't move they break the circuit so no power to the fridge.
To the original question I would just leave them in the terminal block before the fridge. What size cabling are you using and how are you making the final connection. If you were going to use the above mentioned terminal block then I would terminate the wires from the draw bar into electrical single screw connectors that electricians use. You can get them from Bunnings in the electrical section.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-screw-connector-40amp-8-pack_p4430390

Reactions: PhilW and dagree

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi @PhilW ,
On our last caravan (14.44-4ob) and our current Journey, we have the Dometic RM2553 installed. The wiring ran directly from the fridge to the drawbar plug and not through the Setec. So you should be able to wire the fridge directly to an Anderson plug, as this is what I have done in the past. I used 6 mm automotive cable rated for 32amps and have not had any issues. Voltage drop were minimal. Fridge runs great. 4b&s will do the job easily. I was thinking about removing the 2 wires from the 12 pin connector and going up some additional cable to connect an Anderson plug, but decided to run new wiring. I also put connectors on the old disused wiring as an added precaution.All good.
Cheers
Nick

Reactions: dagree and PhilW