Electrical 12 V Switch for Water Tanks

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi all,
I remember seeing on here somewhere that someone had fitted electric solenoids to their water tanks to allow them to be changed from inside the van instead of climbing under it to change over the fiddly valves that Jayco fit.

Can someone please post the link or some photos of the switch and solenoid locations.

Thanks for your help
David

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi all,
I remember seeing on here somewhere that someone had fitted electric solenoids to their water tanks to allow them to be changed from inside the van instead of climbing under it to change over the fiddly valves that Jayco fit.

Can someone please post the link or some photos of the switch and solenoid locations.

Thanks for your help
David
I recall a there was "maybe we should" chat, but I don't recall it being done

Reactions: dagree

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Great idea - Ihave a Coromal and even though my taps are inside they are awkward to get to, so I've ordered 2 solenoids and will wire them into the pump, so when the pump is switched on then there will be power to the 2 way switch to choose the tank. This way there is no continuous drain as it only works when the pump Has power to it - we free camp 90% of the time. The solenoid cost is $3.00 on eBay.

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi Glen, can you put up the link to the solenoid, must be different to the ones I am looking at....

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi all, well I had a crack today. Came up ok. I put the solenoids inside an electrical box from haymans. It is mounted in front of the front axle and behind the second water tank. Each tank goes into a solenoid then into the common suction to the pump. I have also included a bypass line with a manual valve should the solenoid fail.
The switches are a marlin 3 gang setup from BCF. It is mounted under the seat in the battery compartment. I can easily get to it from the door under the club lounge.
Cheers
David

Attachments

• IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    828.1 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0446.JPG
    IMG_0446.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 222

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
You had better luck than me. The solenoids which I ordered were the wrong size pipe (6mm JG), so I had to order a new set for 1/2 inch hose. I did get a 3 way switch and should have the new solenoids this week. My Cormal 542 has the existing pipes under the oven on the floor where the pump is located, so I am thinking of picking up the power from the pump to the switch and then to the 2 solenoids. Will have to get 2 small boxes to put the solenoids in, to protect them from other items in the cupboard. The switch I'm putting higher up in the next cupboard where the battery charge is located.

Reactions: Red1

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Good luck with it. It was actually easier than I thought it would be. I would have liked the switches out in the open but was a bit scared of cutting a hole in a cupboard in case I made a mistake and cocked it up.

Reactions: Crusty181

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
Does the solenoid only use power to lock open/close or am I correct in thinking it would be using battery power constantly to remain open if you will? Trying to wrap my head around it.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I thought about it when someone did it on here years back when I had The Tardis but moved my manual taps instead and with Big Mal, well the less things draining power the better as 90% free camp and I have the taps set in an easy position now...................it is a nifty idea though and a good time to redo the plumbing all thru the van which can increase pressure as well.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Does the solenoid only use power to lock open/close or am I correct in thinking it would be using battery power constantly to remain open if you will? Trying to wrap my head around it.
The solenoid linked on eBay are normally close, so will only remain open when powered up ... which is only when the pump is receiving power. To eliminate power drain, the pump will have to be isolated at the switch, because the circuit will be still active and solenoid powered up even after the pressure sensing shuts of the water pump off. Although we only turn on the pump each occasion we use a tap

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Yes, power open, but draws next to nothing. We have heaps of power, including 300 w of solar so it will be fine

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
You had better luck than me. The solenoids which I ordered were the wrong size pipe (6mm JG), so I had to order a new set for 1/2 inch hose. I did get a 3 way switch and should have the new solenoids this week. My Cormal 542 has the existing pipes under the oven on the floor where the pump is located, so I am thinking of picking up the power from the pump to the switch and then to the 2 solenoids. Will have to get 2 small boxes to put the solenoids in, to protect them from other items in the cupboard. The switch I'm putting higher up in the next cupboard where the battery charge is located.
Hi Glen, great idea to tap into the pump power for the active for the solenoid. I swapped mine over a couple of days ago. Now there is now issue with having power on the solenoid small the time when travelling, as we always shut the pump off when not in use.
Cheers David

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Hi Glen, great idea to tap into the pump power for the active for the solenoid. I swapped mine over a couple of days ago. Now there is now issue with having power on the solenoid small the time when travelling, as we always shut the pump off when not in use.
Cheers David
Hi David
Further enhancement....
When we were travelling over east, I discovered that our Hot Water system had a pin hole leak and this was causing our water pump to infrequently cut in and out at odd times of the day and night. Now that the HWS has been replaced, the pump can remain on all the time. BUT - as you rightly point out - the solenoids are powered while the pump is on! We were recently away for a few days and I discovered this when I noticed my batteries were not fully charged, and put it down to the pump switch being constantly on . I'm waiting for a 240v pneumatic switch to replace the pump on/off switch and hopefully this will make/break the 12v positive circuit to the pump/solenoid. The new switch can be set to stay on up to 15min, but I'll set it for ~ 5 min. Enough time for a shower!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not a good idea to leave pump switch on when travelling, something hits s tap and there goes all your water....A calendar fell off hook once, lesson learnt, it doesn't take much........I just moved my tank levers, .

Reactions: Crusty181