14' Series 12 pin socket question

Lucinda

Feb 1, 2016
Sydney
Evening all

We need to change our current 7 pin socket on our 2015 pathfinder to a 12 pin socket to tow an expanda we've bought and are picking up on the weekend. I bought a standard socket (see pic) but apparently it isn't right because of the car's reverse sensors. I'm assuming I need one of the other types in the attached pics but do I need closed or open circuits. I have absolutely no idea about this stuff!!!! Help! Thanks :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 294

Lucinda

Feb 1, 2016
Sydney
Evening all

We need to change our current 7 pin socket on our 2015 pathfinder to a 12 pin socket to tow an expanda we've bought and are picking up on the weekend. I bought a standard socket (see pic) but apparently it isn't right because of the car's reverse sensors. I'm assuming I need one of the other types in the attached pics but do I need closed or open circuits. I have absolutely no idea about this stuff!!!! Help! Thanks :)

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
First time I've ever heard of something like that. Our reverse sensors are in the bumper bar and the only thing they have that's influenced by a trailer/van is that the car senses by seeing that there's extra lights loading up the circuitry and disables the reverse sensors when towing as far as I understand it, if that makes sense. The only other way would be if the trailer socket obscures a reverse sensor but that's not an electrical issue. Maybe I have to educate myself and look up the Narva web site to see if it explains more.

Cars are getting too complex to enjoy sometimes and I yearn for my old 4x4 that had 2 electronic parts, the radio and a self fitted breakerless ignition.

Lucinda

Feb 1, 2016
Sydney
First time I've ever heard of something like that. Our reverse sensors are in the bumper bar and the only thing they have that's influenced by a trailer/van is that the car senses by seeing that there's extra lights loading up the circuitry and disables the reverse sensors when towing as far as I understand it, if that makes sense. The only other way would be if the trailer socket obscures a reverse sensor but that's not an electrical issue. Maybe I have to educate myself and look up the Narva web site to see if it explains more.

Cars are getting too complex to enjoy sometimes and I yearn for my old 4x4 that had 2 electronic parts, the radio and a self fitted breakerless ignition.
Thanks @Meanderthals - I think we should probably just give up on the DIY option and will have to hunt down an auto electrician between now and Saturday!!

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Just looked it up and it has a part in it that is supposed to disable the reverse sensors. Don't know if this is compatible with all cars but for our Ranger my understanding is that there's already a "Trailer module" under the front passenger seat that has that function already built in. Maybe your best bet is someone else here with the same car as you, your Owners Manual or your Dealer's Service people.
Narva connector.jpg

PS. I forgot that there seems to be 4 different options for this anyway so professional advice recommended.
http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/flat

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi,
Some cars, like my Ranger sense when a trailer is attached by the additional current load applied to the car, while others require a reed switch that is activated and deactivated by a magnet in the housing of the fold down flap.
They work as follows. Inside the connector is a reed switch, which when the flap is closed is activated by the small magnet in the flap that covers the connector contacts. When you open the flap, the magnet moves away from the switch and the contacts open disabling the reverse sensors. This system is employed on many cars.
On your old 7 pin connector, you probably would have had this set up and would have 2 additional wires which would have been for the reed switch. This was how my Santa Fe worked.
There are 2 types of reed switches used. One is a "normally open" switch and the other is a "normally closed" switch. To work out what you need just connect the 2 wires in the socket for the together and select reverse. If the sensors work, you will require a " normally closes " switch. ( Narva 82074BL ). If they work with the 2 wires disconnected then you will need a " normally closed " switch. ( Narva 82074BL ). The Narva website should have more info. If you need more help, you can PM me.
Cheers
Nick

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep you need to choose either NO or NC normally open or normally closed. You can test your current 7 pin with a basic meter to work out which one. Then order the apporiate 12 pin. If in a hurry just use the non reed switch one. It only effects it when reversing so you could get by for now. They can be a bit hard to track down I store too so online is best.

On 12 pin plugs I'll probably get flamed here but if given the choice buy the Britax brand. They are much better quality than Narva IMO or used to be last time I bought. The quality of the terminal screws was light and day.

Reactions: dagree